Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: starting another quick project 1971 7.5hp

starting another quick project 1971 7.5hp 9 years 6 months ago #107577

started another project this morning.. my nephew calls and says his neighbor gave him a 7.5hp mercury for his duck boat.. and wanted to know if i could go through it for him and get it running.. so i tell him to bring it over. cant be much wrong with it right.
lol looked simple enough.. wires dryed up and falling apart.. he figures it would only be a few hours pulling it apart and replacing wires.. well he was wrong.. i get it apart. it needs points... best deal i found were 60.00 for a set.. wires go to insulators for the points.. there cracked.. luckly found them.. 2 wires for points.. found them.. lol not cheap. thinking if i can find the right size wire im going to make them up myself.. carb kit ordered. fuel pump kit ordered. and water pump ordered.. but what a odd ignition system setup on here.. not what im used to.. i thought it was electronic till i found a set of points under there...but i kind of caught him by surprise when i told him he looking at around 200 or so in just parts.. is it just me or do all the kids these days thing everythings free..LOL.. GOOD thing he has family to help him out and get him going..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: starting another quick project 1971 7.5hp 9 years 6 months ago #107580

those point are at there best when the look ugly if they make contact leave them alone per merc book. it is electronic called phase maker. 1 914 310 7086. Dave.

Re: starting another quick project 1971 7.5hp 9 years 6 months ago #107581

well i had to pull it all apart anyway since the wiring to the points was bad. and the plastic isolators looked cracked.... i tried a electronics shop today to see if i could find the right wire to re wire it..but no luck. and i didnt want to use heavy hard wire on it.... i did un-solder the wire from the bolts going to the points hoping to find some wire for it. but even if i did the plastic isolators are bad anyway.. so just searching around for deals before i start placing orders next week..

Re: starting another quick project 1971 7.5hp 9 years 6 months ago #107590

Chances are the stator is toast, common on that system and not cheap. They can be repaired but at $$$. If you do get it working, use the choke to stop the engine, the stop switch actually breaks ground in that engine and is murder on the stator.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online