• Page:

TOPIC: Restoring a Dock Crasher

Restoring a Dock Crasher 9 years 11 months ago #101959

• headley
  • headley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys, I know this is really anal, but I am looking for some authentic vintage black wrinkle paint. I am restoring a 1958 Mercury Mark 78, the famous Dock Crasher. I was going to trade it in on something a couple years newer but the good Doctor talked me into it. I have a few issues that I have asked Thom for help, some parts etc. One of the things I am a freak on is using stock parts and paints. I am using Peter at NYMarine as the supplier of paints, medallions and decals as he always has the authentic repro supplies. One thing he did not have was the wrinkle paint for the stern light and the control box. The original vintage stuff has a distinct pattern, almost like a leopard print. I know I am being super picky here, anybody ever seen this type of paint?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Restoring a Dock Crasher 9 years 11 months ago #102023

You can get it online from many sources. You need to start with a fresh bead blasted / completely sanded etc. surface. Going over old wrinkle finish doesn't turn out well - it must be a fresh surface. Give the item a medium build coat of paint, wait about 10 minutes, then hit it with a very heavy coat. This can cause problems on vertical surfaces. put the item in direct sunlight - a heat lamp - wood stove - radiant heater - what ever. (no open flames duh) and don't get the item too hot or the paint will bubble. The finish will begin to wrinkle with the heat and cure time. DO NOT overcoat - it will ruin the job. This stuff can take weeks to months to harden enough for handling. If you paint the control box - put it on a shelf and don't touch it for reassembly until Summer.

Re:Restoring a Dock Crasher 9 years 11 months ago #102030

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Restoring a Dock Crasher 9 years 11 months ago #102063

• headley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Bruce, wonderfully detailed information. I appreciate the effort.

Re:Restoring a Dock Crasher 9 years 11 months ago #102064

• headley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks, looking at it now.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online