Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My New Mistress

My New Mistress 10 years 2 weeks ago #100536

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
She's not a classic (yet), but I thought I'd share some pics of my new "short stack" (4 cyl) Four Stroke Mariner 50 by Mercury. Her birth certificate reads Fond du Lac, Wisc. (I've been told that Yamaha had some influence in the early four strokes for Merc?) So far I just LOVE this motor, smooth quiet and so fuel efficient it's scarey!

She was in dire need of some love when I brought her home, so a full service and check out was in order;
and some new decals were included with the deal, they appear to be from a newer model but the price was right so on they went! If this new-fangled machinery offends anyone I'll stop posting here, just thought I'd share my latest love with my 'Glassic family here. :P
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:My New Mistress 10 years 2 weeks ago #100545

Good lookin' motor Mark. One thing about the 4 strokes, they do seem to be great on gas. I have a 4 stroke Nissan 6 hp kicker. It will run forever on a 3 gallon tank of fuel.

Re:My New Mistress 10 years 2 weeks ago #100562

• L115
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Here is what I know on the history of this series of engines, made 1993-2002. They were part of a joint cooperation between Yamaha and Mercury to manufacture complete powerheads, so that both could quickly get 9.9 and 50 HP 4-strokes on the market and compete with Honda and Suzuki.

The blocks and internals were manufactured by Mercury, and the heads and valve train were designed and manufactured by Yamaha. Everything else was by the individual companies.

Beginning with the 2003 models, the relationship ended in this HP range, and each company made their own successor models, 100%. But what is interesting and strange, and still a secret, is why both the Yamaha and Mercury 50's and 60's are still using identical blocks, with the same specifications, even to this day, just as they did during 1993-2002. I have wondered if Mercury is still producing them secretly for Yamaha?

Re:My New Mistress 10 years 2 weeks ago #100567

Excellent new toy Mark! How heavy is it?

Bob

Re:My New Mistress 10 years 2 weeks ago #100569

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
mark, nice motor, I have been looking at them myself, but to spendy for me. what boat do you have this on? oh and don't you dare stop posting. :lol: frog

Re:My New Mistress 10 years 2 weeks ago #100576

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Mark, Does the other motor know you have a mistress?? Careful, she might leave you stranded.
I pass the Merc factory about once a month while driving through "Fondy" on hwy 41. I'll snap some pictures next time so you can show the old gal her home town :laugh:

Re:My New Mistress 10 years 1 week ago #100584

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks guys, 'preciate the kind words and the info on her heritage. I think it weighs in around 225 lbs Bob.

It came on a "trade-in" boat now in my possession, Spectrum Dominator 17 Bass Boat (by Fisher). I've been wanting to get back into fishing some, and got a decent deal on the rig.

Mark

Re:My New Mistress 10 years 1 week ago #100587

Hmm not too much different than one of the old v4's or tower of powers.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online