• Page:

TOPIC: (hypotehteical) Outboard Question

(hypotehteical) Outboard Question 10 years 1 month ago #99697

• damartinca
  • damartinca's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
In the state of California, some lakes are going to 4 stroke or 2 stroke with direct injection only. I imagine since many of our places are reservoirs and there is a drought going on that I can see that becoming a more pervasive law.

So,I understand from a purist stand point you would want a like vintage motor on the boat. However, from a practical stand point, does it really make sense to not spend any time on getting an old engine running and instead focusing on trying to find a later model motor that would be compliant.

I would love to hear what other California boaters think.

Sincerely,
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:(hypotehteical) Outboard Question 10 years 1 month ago #99700

I lived and boated in CA for a long time. I was annoyed at the motor restrictions but the truth is, I think they're needed. The recreational lakes there are pretty heavily used. I can recall a few boats I've owned that were really polluters. Now, a well tuned vintage motor might run pretty clean, but there are a lot of boaters who don't run well tuned motors. I was one of them. Even now, the old Merc on my Glasspar is not the cleanest running rig out there, and add to that the fuel fill overflow from the built in tank, plus the fuel that runs out of the carbs whenever I tilt the motor up, and I worry a bit about running it on our lakes in NM where water is scarce. Just my opinion. Ideally I'd love to have a retro looking cowl on a late model OB but don't have the $$ for it.

If you want a real dose of fuel pollution, try cruising the London Bridge area at Lake Havasu on a busy afternoon.

Re:(hypotehteical) Outboard Question 10 years 1 month ago #99710

Re:(hypotehteical) Outboard Question 10 years 1 month ago #99715

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My concern is we may not have a lake left in CA to boat in...

As far as practicality... if you want practical buy a new OB. From a purist standpoint, its a labor of love but I think its worth it.

IMHO a vintage motor that you've brought back to life returns a great deal of personal satisfaction. Also if something happens on the water chances are you'll know exactly what happened. However... its still not 'practical'. For pure boating PLEASURE get a new OB. It'll start, run clean and be legal everywhere. For an amazing boating EXPERIENCE. Get a vintage rig and enjoy the conversations about your boat with other boaters. (Many are amazed that anyone would put up with trying to keep a vintage OB motor running.)

I run my vintage rig around the Harbor... but I would not take to to Catalina. Just like I take my Chevelle to the doughnut shop but I wouldn't drive it to Wisconsin to pick up my next vintage boat. :)
Attachments:

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:(hypotehteical) Outboard Question 10 years 1 month ago #99720

• damartinca
  • damartinca's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Yes, you are right. Next year at this time there may be very little boating options in Northern California. And in all honesty, it has made me think, I should maybe hold off on buying a boat until we get through this hurdle. The worse would be to spend all that money to revive a boat and then have to have it sit in my garage depreciating and unused.

BTW, great job on your Belmont. I really like that boat. I grew up with a Wizard Marlin Imperial, but I have had my eye out for Dorsett's as well.

Sincerely,
David

Re:(hypotehteical) Outboard Question 10 years 1 month ago #99729

Boy do I feel lucky to be living on the west coast of Wisconsin, right on the Mississippi! Our main problem this year was that the river went above flood stage 3 times and didn't get back down to normal until after the Forth of July. I guess I would rather have that problem, as long as it doesn't get too high.
Bill

Re:(hypotehteical) Outboard Question 10 years 1 month ago #99737

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Hey Al. here on the eastern edge of WI there's water as far as you can see, drinkable too. Wouldn't pollute it by backing a trailer pulling Chevelle into it :) Just kidding. Chevelles make good anchors.
Water is actually rising in Lake Michigan.

Back to subject. There's no getting away from the fact that the old girls pollute. Back in the day it was not a concern and you can't fine tune one into compliance.
Attachments:

Re:(hypotehteical) Outboard Question 10 years 1 month ago #99739

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
You can always adapt a classic bonnet to a newer motor some are easy some are hard but most are doable.

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:(hypotehteical) Outboard Question 10 years 1 month ago #99950

From an expat California purist - I'll be running my 1955 Larson with my 1955 Johnson and tow it with my 1960 T-Bird and if Lake Arrowhead won't let me in with those hoity-toity types, they can darn well do without me LOL.

Re:(hypotehteical) Outboard Question 10 years 1 month ago #99961

Although right now I'm running a 4 stroke Honda I plan on using my old two strokes. The Chevelle thing is funny. I have a friend with a 4 year old F-350 with a twin turbo diesel that burns up Camaro's at their local drag strip. I think it's a 4 door too. Pour on the coal. LOL I find those that complain about polluters usually are as bad or worst than those being blamed. I have a friend who will tell you how great PETA is and tell you how horrible you are while the grease from his double cheeseburger is dripping off his chin. And I told him so. :lol: I never listen to radicals.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online