Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information

Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 10 years 1 month ago #99635

Trying to gather as much information as I can in regards to a boat that I will be receiving from my father.

What my dad knows about the boat:

1957 or 1958 (approximately 15' long)
Bell Boy Ballerina (Hull and deck style is identical to Banshee)
Inboard (4 cylinder Model 70 Grey Marine with Paragon gearbox)
Only 3, possibly 4 ever made
- 1 Blue and White (My fathers)
- 2 Red and White
- 1 Yellow and White (maybe)
Purchased in late 70s in Lake Whatcom area of Bellingham, WA
My father is the third owner

Mentioned seeing another inboard sitting in a strawberry field around Smith Road in Bellingham area.
While talking to him, he also mentioned something about a stock 5" square fuel filter.

Story I recall while growing up was that these boats were prototypes and there was an accident on Lake Whatcom which stopped the production. (truth or fiction, I don't know).

Any reference material would be great. Please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with "Bell Boy" in the subject for quick responses. Hope to have some photos to post soon.

Thanks,

Lance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 10 years 1 month ago #99637

Welcome to fiberglassic Lance :)

I look forward to seeing pictures.
I live in the Great PNW too. 20 miles NW of Olympia.
My personal expertise is classic Mercury outboards, but you'll find a HUGE variety & wealth of information amongst the folks that post on the various fiberglassic forums.
doc

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 10 years 1 month ago #99640

Doc, much appreciated. I wish my dad was up to the task of getting on a computer because he has so much information to offer. Until that happens, I look forward to any information that I can gleen from this site in restoring my dad's boat. It will never be my boat, but will always be my dad's boat. Born and raised in Bellingham, and under orders to Oak Harbor, WA to finish a 26 year career with the U.S. Navy.

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 10 years 1 month ago #99672

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
A sincere thank you for your service Lance, and welcome aboard. ;)

Mark

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 10 years 1 month ago #99674

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Lance, welcome aboard, 26 years, wow. Salute the ensign and come aboard :) Always good to have a fellow sailor around. Beautiful area where you are. The wife and I were there last year, took a month long vacation up 101 and finished at Cape Flatery before heading back to WI.
Anxious to see some pictures of the boat.
Cal

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 10 years 1 month ago #99701

Lance, as Cal said salute the ensign and come aboard. Thanks for your service, did over 23 years in the Navy myself. Let's see some pics.

Bob

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 10 years 1 month ago #99754

• DaveM
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Lance, over in the Glassic Library there's a one-line reference to a Bell Boy Ballerina, listed under Bell Boy's "1960-1962 outboard boat models". It has some basic specs, not much else, listed as a 1960, 14 ft.
DaveM.

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 9 years 11 months ago #101357

After a 900 mile tow, the boat is back in the Pacific Northwest. Once I recover and unpack from an overseas move, I will post detailed photos. I have also started a blog to document the process of turning this boat into something a little more presentable. dadsbellboy.blogspot.com

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 9 years 11 months ago #101361

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad you got her home safe and sound Lance, looking forward to seeing your project come along.

Mark

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 9 years 8 months ago #105380

Photo from Lake Sammish.

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 9 years 8 months ago #105393

1_flake,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 9 years 8 months ago #105439

Ok, that's a nice tease more pics please. lol

Bob

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 9 years 8 months ago #105475

A small inboard fiberglass boat from the 1950's!

Given almost everything fiberglass was an outboard boat back then, and stern drives did not come out until 1959. That boat is so cool and has to be pretty rare, from any fiberglass manufacturer of that era, let alone Bell Boy.

Does anyone know of any other inboard fiberglass boats from the 1950's? I sure don't! All the inboards I know of from then were wood boats.

That Bell Boy definitely needs to be preserved.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 9 years 7 months ago #106581

If the weather holds out till this weekend here in PNW, I will uncover and take a bunch of photos to upload.

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 9 years 7 months ago #106623

Welcome aboard!

Lee Wangstad wrote an article about Bell Boy for the "Boating World" magazine many years ago. I think he may have also written something about Bell Boy for "The Boathouse" magazine ( www.acbs-bslol.com )

Also see the link: www.fiberglassics.com/library/Bellboy

Bell Boy was a division of Bellingham Shipyards which also had a division called American Fabricators(AmFab). AmFab manufactured structural glued laminated timber, the same thing I manufacture in Peshtigo, WI! I have done some research into AmFab history - all my files are at home in Minnesota. I am working in Wisconsin full time and only get home 4-5 days per month.

Andreas

Re:Bell Boy Ballerina Inboard (1957/58) information 9 years 7 months ago #106626

Welcome aboard Lance, I'm in Anacortes by deception pass, looking forward to seeing the boat and maybe some vintage cruising.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online