Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Painting a Fiberglass hull.

Painting a Fiberglass hull. 10 years 1 month ago #99429

Greetings All,

Can anyone offer advice on painting a hull? Fiberglass boat. I've read the article written here by Jamil Mehdi which is very detailed however the paint he discusses using, "AWL GRIP", doesnt come recommended by the manufacturer, as a bottom paint?

Greg A. If you read this, are you using the Rustoleum Marine paint on the hull as well? It seems that it is not recommended below the water line either?

I'm thinking maybe both of these brands make that statement in regards to a boat which lives in the water most of the time. Not a day use only boat which mine would be. I just want to be sure before I decide which type of paint/materials I decide to go with.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Painting a Fiberglass hull. 10 years 1 month ago #99443

MIne is painted using regular rustolium.
I use my boat hard fishing. I Does hit bottom and gets scrapes and a few scars. mine does not stay in the water. works for me. Im on a tight budget.

Re:Painting a Fiberglass hull. 10 years 1 month ago #99444

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Tom, if you will type "Rustoleum" into the forum search box in the upper right hand corner you can find all the thread related to this subject.

IMHO you are on target with your thoughts, many of us have used it (or the Valspar equivalent) with fair success. If the boat is going to sit in the water any length of time, go with a true "marine rated" paint.

Just my two cents........ ;)

Mark

Re:Painting a Fiberglass hull. 10 years 1 month ago #99451

I have indeed painted my hull(s) with Rustoleum marine paint. My boats tend stay in the water only for hours at a time. If they were to be in the water for week(s) or months I would consider a different paint.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

Re:Painting a Fiberglass hull. 10 years 1 month ago #99486

i was so up in arms about this painting problem i was reluctantly going with interlux three different kinds of paint for one boat topsides, bottom and then the epoxy paint for the bottom i had to find the water line then a boot stripe on and on. then i found
thebottompaintstore.com and hallelujah one paint from top to bottom. i am getting revolution two gallons and i can use my interlux epoxy primer i have started with. very durable can touch up and a nice glossy shine. i want it to look like gel coat. this is close to it. just my two :laugh: :laugh:

Re:Painting a Fiberglass hull. 10 years 3 weeks ago #100164

Rustoleum Pro with the added Acrylic Enamel Hardener will yield and extremely High Gloss, Durable Finish that will allow you to leave your boat in the water for up to 3 days with no problem. I've had it on my Boat for 3 years now and it still shines like the day I put it on with just a quick wipe and buff! I Highly Recommend it!!!

Re:Painting a Fiberglass hull. 9 years 8 months ago #105021

Hey wood thanks a bunch for talkin me into the rusto..i got an 8 foot boat that was a perfect gunea pig to paint..bad cracks holes scratches and all..used rusty metal prime and the dark blue ..all i can say is i wish my new truck was that smooth i wasnt able to get to the paint stire for hardener but i did 1/3 cup mineral spirits to a cup of paint..at 53 degrees..did 2 coats 25 min apart..im very happy lol

Re:Painting a Fiberglass hull. 9 years 8 months ago #105092

Glad it worked out for you. I fear that painting in 53 degree temps the paint may not cure properly and not using the Hardener will also be detrimental to the overall durability and longevity of the paint. I hope it turns out to be a good experience for you in the long run!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online