• Page:

TOPIC: Scuppers, adding them or no

Scuppers, adding them or no 10 years 1 month ago #98982

• NJTriton
  • NJTriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently have been throwing an idea around in my head about adding scuppers to a resto mod on a Cutter I may start soon. I know it's not a self bailing deck but my reason for adding them is this.... My Aristocraft had a tremendous amount of water in it last year from all the rain we had. Since it doesn't have a bilge pump, I had to go down to the dock with a pool pump and pump it out......every. Single. Time. That problem has been remedied, but wouldn't the scuppers do that on their own without the worry of draining the battery?

Would this idea work or am I still nieve on the whole scupper concept?

- Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

-Brian

Re:Scuppers, adding them or no 10 years 1 month ago #98985

Brian:

My Wife and I own a 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan and they came from the factory with deck "scuppers." Personally,...I like them!
Our boat stays inside year round, so dirt, leaves etc. don't get into them. That is what some fellow Glasspar Owners DON'T like about them.

I like them because when I wash our boat the wash water runs down and out the scuppers and doesn't run inside the boat. It does the same thing in the water. I posted a picture for you to see how they look on our Seafair Sedan. It is an older picture of the boat.

You will see the "scuppers" on the edge of the top deck Brian.

In the attached picture you will see one on the right below but in line with the dual horns.
Attachments:

Re:Scuppers, adding them or no 10 years 1 month ago #98986

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Top decking drainage holes are one thing...and they work well. Interior decking scuppers are another matter. In order for the scuppers (one-way water passage fittings) to be effective at draining water from the interior of a boat, they obviously need to be installed at deck height. On a cruiser, the deck height is much higher than the waterline. However, most of the time, on a small boat, the deck height is at or below the waterline. Regardless of how the scuppers are made, if they are at/below the waterline, they will allow water in if the boat is sitting still. They will be very effective in draining...the lake INTO your boat. The more water inside the boat, either from rain or scupper leakage, the lower it will sit in the water...allowing even more water in...and it will happen fast. This scenario is little more than self-inflicted foundering. I would opt for a covered slip, a good waterproof cover (or both) or just pulling the boat out of the water.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Scuppers, adding them or no 10 years 1 month ago #98987

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the insight fellas, I was going to mint them on the tea some about 2" above the water line. I don't necessarily need ALL of the water to get out, just enough to stop the rain water from possibly sinking my boat if the battery decides to die and the bilge no longer works. I realize they do come with a risk and are essentially another "hole" in the boat.

-Brian

Re:Scuppers, adding them or no 10 years 1 month ago #98989

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Not to belabor the point, but if you install them 2" high and allow the boat to collect 2" of water, the weight will most likely bring the scuppers down to the waterline. You'll have the same issue you would have if you mounted them at the waterline but with a 2" margin before the boat sinks. Scuppers are a really bad idea.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Scuppers, adding them or no 10 years 1 month ago #99002

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I agree with Naut. Why put a hole in a perfectly good tight boat. Sorta like jumping out of a good flying airplane. Just don't make sense. I would opt for a good deep cycle battery dedicated to your bilge pump. Put an auto bail switch on the pump. I've used a setup like this on several boats. There will be some "residual" water in the bilge after the switch hits the low point but it beats bailing after each rain.
PS. You're lucky you're getting some rain, it's dryer than a popcorn fa-t here in eastern WI. :(

Re:Scuppers, adding them or no 10 years 1 month ago #99016

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok so adding them was a good idea in theory, not in practice. I'd have to raise the deck in the boat for it to actually work which would change the whole geometry of the boat and I don't want to really do I that. Thanks for the help fellas
-Brian

-Brian

Re:Scuppers, adding them or no 10 years 1 month ago #99049

Check with the rules about them for what is an like an "inspected vessel". Friend failed when she would not plug them.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online