Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Repairing a hook, 1959 Superglas

Repairing a hook, 1959 Superglas 10 years 2 months ago #98879

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Last year, I bought this Superglas, advertised on Fiberglassics. I noticed this boat when it was for sale even before that, but I didn't have the funds, so I watched it come and go.

When it came up again, I was able to negotiate with the owner, who gave me a generous deal. Took two friends with me, drove 5 hours, arrived in the pouring rain. One of my friends immediately inspected the hull and said "It's got a hook!" Ugh. I bought it anyway….and they razzed me the whole way home. Took it out for a run, with a 45 hp Merc. Started out great, but at half throttle, the bow went down and the engine was cavitating. Tried to pretend that wasn't happening, but that didn't work.

The prior owner had rebuilt the floor, but hadn't straightened the hull first. My friend suggested that we leave it, and build up from the bottom, pouring a two part foam to fill the gully and then sanding it straight.

This level shows the extent of the hook:

Lincoln Davis, the genius behind this adventure. I din't realize until we were well into it that he had never done this before. It was just an idea he thought we should try….on my boat!

Foamed and sanded:

Then, we laid on mat and epoxy:

Ground down, making a crisp edge at the transom. Paint and trial run. Success!!!!

I hope this is helpful to others. I'm looking for more info on Superglas boats. Not much out there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online