Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dorsett transom repair progress.

Dorsett transom repair progress. 10 years 2 months ago #98754

I have been slowed up by the intense heat here in California and distractions working on the Mark 55. I have made templates and have plywood cut to install - I purchased some construction adhesive from home depot which is supposed to be extremely strong - I did a test by gluing two pieces of plywood together one just with weight on it and one with screws - I must say that stuff is extremely strong and I am thinking of using it for the two layers of ply I am going to install.

Regarding clamping the fiberglass exterior to the inner plywood - I know this sounds barbaric but I have been thinking of drilling a number of pilot holes in the fiberglass then using screws with large flat heads to draw that fiberglass onto the inside wood - also clamp along the upper side - then, after everything has set up, remove the screws and fill all with resin mix - then sand and paint (which I have to do for the whole boat anyway) - also thinking of installing a metal plate along the outside where the motor mounts. What are your thoughts on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Dorsett transom repair progress. 10 years 2 months ago #98760

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Mark

Re:Dorsett transom repair progress. 10 years 2 months ago #98792

Good thought. However I have used 1" X 2" hardwood strips screwed to the transom to create more of "binding area" than just large headed screws with maybe even a fender washer. Removing the hardwood strips after drying and patching the holes.

As far as the metal transom savor I install then on all my boats. I have a hard time attaching a motor to a newly painted transom. I radius the lower corners to give it a little "look". I use 1/8" aluminum plate, very easy to work with. Attached plate with counter sunk oval head stainless steel screws bedded in 3M 5200.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

Re:Dorsett transom repair progress. 10 years 2 weeks ago #100611

I use my easy to make Transom Clamps to install transoms. These are the originals. I've since improved the design and they're now made from 10" x 1/2" bolts and nuts and washers with a bit of quick set epoxy. They work GREAT!!! I glue the transom to the outer skin with Resin thickened with Cabosil and 1/4" milled fibers. I also drill a few 1" holes in the transom wood to allow the thickened resin to OOZE thru which forms sort of a "Resin Rivet" to ensure a really good Bond to the outer skin and also prevent any air pockets during clamp up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online