Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to remove chrome script from outboard motor?

How to remove chrome script from outboard motor? 10 years 2 months ago #98732

I have a 1958 Johnson Outboard motor and I'd like to remove the chrome "Johnson" script prior to paint. I'm just not sure how to do this without destroying the pins which attach the script to the hood?

Any help/step by step instruction would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How to remove chrome script from outboard motor? 10 years 2 months ago #98740

Work with a small screwdriver pushing up on the "push nut" till it
(1) inverts and then slides off
(2) breaks and then slides off
(3) slowly works all the way off

many times when get them up part of the way and they will not invert I cut them, I too a cheap pair (harbor freight)of dikes and grounded down one side of the cutting head as to make it where I can get to the push nut and cut it

CAVU

Re:How to remove chrome script from outboard motor? 10 years 2 months ago #98757

Thank you for the reply. I won't be able to look at the motor until the weekend however I remember the pins are very small and I don't recall seeing a locknut. I'm sure there is something wich keeps these attached however. Are there replacements available? (For the locknuts or whatever they are?)

Thanks,

Tom

Re:How to remove chrome script from outboard motor? 10 years 2 months ago #98770

Also called spring nuts or speed nuts:

aaronspushnuts.com/tinnerman_spring_nuts.htm

Re:How to remove chrome script from outboard motor? 10 years 2 months ago #98778

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have had the same question but haven't asked yet because I'm not ready to start on the cowl yet. On my '58 Johnson SSH 35 each pin on the script and on the chrome pieces has a 7/16th inch clear yellowish plastic disk that the pin goes through. They almost look like dabs of glue but they are all uniform and saucer shaped with the concave side to the inside of the cowl. Feels like the pins have a groove that the center hole of the disk locks into.

When half of them break when I go to remove the trim pieces, how can they be replaced? How have you guys handled this issue?

Re:How to remove chrome script from outboard motor? 10 years 2 months ago #98784

They are "Push Nuts".

The true Value near me has them. Ace may have them and they can be bought on line from places like Amazon and Fastenall

CAVU

Re:How to remove chrome script from outboard motor? 10 years 2 months ago #98791

I have never been able to find the yellowish plastic disks at my local hardware/fastenal stores. Needed to order them from marineengin.com. I heat them up with my heat gun, working a small screwdriver under them and pop them off. About one in 10 crack. Sometimes I reheat to reinstall.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online