• Page:

TOPIC: Tired of gas war

Tired of gas war 10 years 2 months ago #98605

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Anyone who sorta followed my Shell Lake rebuild knows the problems I've had since the launch. Frog said I should name it "Pull Toy" because I was towed into the landing(s) more often than not which I think I will :laugh: Since I deep sixed the rusty fuel tank I've been using two 6.5 gallon portable plastic tanks, you guys know the type. Problems solved but now switching between tanks is a pain if you run one dry and have to "pump it up". I solved the 'run dry' problem by rigging up a fuel level sender that I can switch between tanks so I know when I'm running low. Wired up to my dash fuel gauge. Bonus is that I know when my second tank is running low and I have to head back to the ramp UNDER MY OWN POWER. No more stopping to check the gas tanks :)

The large hose showing on the right side is the filler that was for onboard tank that was junked.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tired of gas war 10 years 2 months ago #98607

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
great idea cal, now no more surprises. glad you got you fuel problem cured. greg

Re:Tired of gas war 10 years 2 months ago #98618

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm loving that idea Cal, where did you come up with the sending unit?

Mark

Re:Tired of gas war 10 years 2 months ago #98622

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Mark, I rigged a regular float sender to one of the gas caps.
The cap fits both tanks. When I see the tank almost empty I switch the fuel lines and cap.
Took the float that was in the steel tank which was adjustable and disassembled the unit. It comes apart by just taking off the nuts for the (+) terminal. Drilled out the center of the gas cap large enough to install a hollow bolt. I used one of those threaded center posts that are in a table lamp. With a little "field engineering" I mounted the sender to the threaded post, actually just drilled out the mount bracket large enough for the post and nuts, soldered an extension wire onto the (+) of the sender, shrink wrapped the connection and passed it through the post. Now the post is grounded to the sender mounting bracket so the +/- are in place. Passed the post through the hole in the gas cap putting a rubber washer on the underside. The hole in the cap is just a smidgeon larger to allow the unit to swivel on the cap. Now the cap can be screwed on the tank while the sender stays in place. I put plug together wire connectors of different types on the wires so they can be removed if necessary but are configured in a way that they cannot be cross connected. The hollow post allows for the venting of the tank also.
Attachments:

Re:Tired of gas war 10 years 2 months ago #98623

BRILLIANT!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online