Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding?

1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 10 years 2 months ago #98585

My dad has a 1958 Glass Craft Riviera with a rotten transom. This boat has been sitting outside for several years (4-5) with no cover, I had it out on it's last voyage 6 years ago, before it was parked outside. It's got a 1970's (I think '73) era Evinrude 75 hp outboard on it.

The thing is, dad said I can have the boat, but it is in Montana, while I live in Seattle. So, is it worth transporting out here and rebuilding it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 10 years 2 months ago #98589

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That's a call only you can make, but IMHO definitely! The Imperial Riviera was almost their "top of the line" boat, and to be able to bring back the one your Dad used to have would be priceless.

I'm assuming (shouldn't, right?) that you'll make the road trip to retrieve the boat yourself, shipping one commercially gets a little expensive. There's a great support group right here to help you through the process, all you have to do is post some picks and ask some questions.

Note: If you're doing it to sell and try to make some money on the deal, it's probably not going to work out when you factor in all the labor it's going to take. Most of us do it for the love of the Glassics, putting one back on the water is a feeling you just have to experience to fully comprehend.

Good luck, share some pics, and let us know what you decide rebenji.

Mark

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 10 years 2 months ago #98598

Your assumption is correct, I will be doing the transport myself if I decide to put the time into it. My dad doesnt think its worth the effort, since it has been sitting outside, uncovered for so long... If I do the restore, it will be for my own sentimental value and use, not to sell, so not terribly concerned about resale value.

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 10 years 2 months ago #98600

I say do it. You will never have the opportunity again. I don't know the boat but if the deck can be taken off, then replacing the transom is a doable project. What is the worst that can happen? Your dad is right and it is too far gone. But you gave it a shot.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

1958 Glass Craft Imperial Riviera photos! 9 years 2 months ago #112810

I know, I know. . . its been a while. Finally got back to Montana for a week of vacation and got some photos of the boat. No way to bring it back to Seattle with me this trip, so photos will have to do for now. . .

s1066.photobucket.com/user/rbenji298/library/1958%20Glasscraft%20Imperial%20Riviera?sort=3&page=1
Attachments:

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #112814

rbenji298,

WELCOME ABOARD. = I vote "YEP" for whatever that's worth.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1958 Glass Craft Imperial Riviera photos! 9 years 2 months ago #112881

Hi & welcome to Fiberglassics. It looks like you tried to insert a web address in the file name box for uploading pictures. I sorted it out and went to your photo bucket page and selected two of the pictures for your post. In order to use the photo uploader, you must have a file name and file to upload to the website. I went to your photobucket page and saved two of your pictures to my home computer. I then uploaded them here and added them to your post.

You can also have a link to photobucket ( As I have modified it on the bottom of your post )by just pasting the web address into the body of the message.

You should definitely save the Glass Craft. The larger models are fairly scarce & and it's just too cool to leave behind.

Bruce

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #112927

I say go for it and tackle it on, she looks like a real pretty hull.

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #112936

WOW!!! Awesome fins. You got to save this boat.

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #113014

Road trip WITH Dad. Take a week and get it running WITH Dad. Ok....so I am missing my Dad. Looks like a good project.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #113016

• Nautilus
  • Away
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
By all means, go get that boat! It's more than worth saving, it's necessary. If you decide against it, post it for sale here on Fiberglassics. I doubt that it will last a week before it's sold.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #113024

Uhhmm, errr, oohhh, Ifn you don't wanna do it, just give me yer dads address and I'll be mosing on up to Montana to pick her up and bring her down here to Okie Land. I been hankerin fer a Finned Boat fer quite a spell and that there is one fine lookin lady!!!!

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #113031

I agree with Dave. Spend the time with Dad if you can.

Re:1958 Glass Craft Imperial Riviera photos! 9 years 2 months ago #113036

Thanks, Bruce!I will upload the photos directly to the forum next time :-)

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #113037

Dad lives in Montana, so I have been trying to convince him to bring it to me next time he comes to visit his grand child :-)

No success so far, been asking for a couple years.

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #113038

I really like the boat... The new hole in the hull looks pretty daunting, although the transom repair doesn't seem to bother me. Probably about the same amount of work I am guessing?

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #113280

For my two bits, that hole in the hull looks daunting but it is a fix gunna cost a a couple of hundred if you don't have a grinder.There are lots of you tube videos on the repair. here's an example, a novice in the video is making a repair.I don't want to insult your intelligence, dump the gas out of those tanks before you try to fire it up. if that motor runs your golden.Check the transom for flex before you transport it. get an transom saver for the motor. Now Get Er Done! we will all help.There are no dumb questions. I have rebuilt 6 boats now. here are some repairs I have made. You will need a metal grinder with a sanding plate to build it up and even it out.
Smooth Sailing........George

Attachments:

Re:1958 Glass Craft Riviera worth rebuilding? 9 years 2 months ago #113284

I'm a complete novice, but I'll throw in my two bits, too. Just do it. If you don't, you'll always regret it; you'll pine for Dad's old boat for the rest of your days. You'll compare every future boat to that one you turned down. Meanwhile, if you take on the task and never get it done, you'll always know you did your best.

Further, it doesn't really seem that daunting to me. If your goal is to make the repairs perfect, so that you can enter her in the next concours d'elegance, then that's daunting. Perfect is the enemy of the very good, as they say.

Just get her back to respectable runabout status and enjoy her. If you can make it a project with your own kids, so much the better.

When you're cruising around in that boat, telling perfect strangers all the stories of your memories with your dad, and the restoration process with your kids, the boat will pay for itself a thousand times over. In the future, your kids will tell their kids stories about the restoration and how you made friends of strangers while telling your stories to everyone who asked about the boat.

How many of those opportunities come along?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online