Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 14ft Lake n Sea motor recommendations?

14ft Lake n Sea motor recommendations? 10 years 2 months ago #98428

Hey Everyone,

Last year I came a across an old Lake n Sea boat that was in terrible condition. I am just now getting to starting to restore the boat. I am having a hard time narrowing down what size motor would work best for this boat. Originally it was rated for up to 50 hp I believe. Once I am done it will be stronger and better than new, is there any reason to go above 50hp? Or do I even need to go that high. As far as use goes I envision this as a typical little runabout for just cruising around and maybe teaching little kids how to water ski. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 14ft Lake n Sea motor recommendations? 10 years 2 months ago #98435

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Think fuel economy. My driver boat has a 110 hp Evinrude and sucks far more gas than I like to admit (would help if the son in law didn't offer to take the whole neighborhood tubing all the time, lol). Just like anything else you pay for horsepower.

Re:14ft Lake n Sea motor recommendations? 10 years 2 months ago #98438

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Five different people will give you five different opinions on this subject, so here's mine;

I would try to stay pretty close to the max rated HP (50). Pulling tubers or whatever occasionally it will come in handy, plus they normally get better economy if they're not "straining to maintain" a decent cruising speed. Underpowered boats just aren't as much fun.

On the other hand as Steve eluded to, overpowering isn't all "grins and giggles" either. Even if she's overbuilt to handle additional HP, the hull design is often a limiting factor. Bigger motors weigh considerably more as well, which DOES effect the handling as well as fuel consumption. It's true that short bursts of speed can be exhilarating, but you have to weigh out your acceptable costs for most overall enjoyment factor.

Did that make sense?

Mark

Re:14ft Lake n Sea motor recommendations? 10 years 2 months ago #98441

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Made sense to me Mark.
Here's my opin. 50 hp back in the day was A LOT. The engine weighed A LOT. If you put on a "modern" motor, (anything less than 50 yrs :laugh: it will probably be less weight and more efficient. As stated above, hull design should be considered. I would not overpower, too easy to get a little crazy :S I learned to water ski behind an 18 hp Evenrude, of course I was a few pounds lighter back then.

Re:14ft Lake n Sea motor recommendations? 10 years 2 months ago #98448

In 1959 when your boat was built, a 50hp OB was crank rated, so at the prop it might have only been 40hp+/-. Modern motors are now prop rated. So as long as it's still a 2cylce & not a 4cycle OB, a brand new 35hp would likely give you very similar performance, at a reduced weight, and savings on gas.

New wouldn't fit the look of the boat, IMO, but the cowl could be tweaked to 'appear' more correct.

I think the mandatory switch to the prop rating was in 1985+/-.

If it's a highly stylized Lake n Sea, I suspect you won't be attempting hot laps at the marina anyway. An occasional tube or skier, and normal cruising @3/4 WOT, yep all day long w/ a 35hp.

I'd bet a new 35hp 4cycle wouldn't outweigh a vintage 1958-9 50hp 2cycle. If it does, not by much. My FatFifty's are HEAVUY BEASTS.

Re:14ft Lake n Sea motor recommendations? 10 years 2 months ago #98468

Hey Guys thanks for all the feedback. I really like the look of the vintage motor and would love to go in that direction if I can. I was not thinking about going over a 50hp, its a small boat and I think the extra weight would create more problems than it is worth. But you all did help me out determine what would be the best size for my projected use. If I go with a older motor I would like to get a 50, and if I go more modern than 35hp+ seems to fit my bill. Thanks for the help, now the motor hunt begins!

Dan

Re:14ft Lake n Sea motor recommendations? 10 years 2 months ago #98475

I don't where these weight comments are coming from. Just look at a new 30HP E-Tec. (light for a modern motor) 162-187 lbs.
My 65HP 1973 Evinrude only weighs 202 lbs.
30 HP new Merc 4 stroke = 172+ lbs. depending on configuration.
I agree a vintage motor in the 40 - 50 HP range would be perfect.

Drop a new 50HP E-Tec (240 lbs) on it and watch your transom sink.
A 1973 Lark 50 HP weighs 187 or 182 lbs.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.564 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online