Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Resin/fiberglass at Auto Zone

Resin/fiberglass at Auto Zone 10 years 2 months ago #97922

What are your thoughts on the price and quality of this resin - they have fiberglass material as well

www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/3M-1-qt-Bondo-fiberglass-resin/_/N-260o?itemIdentifier=167023_0_0_

I am also going to visit the local paint shop see if they have anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Resin/fiberglass at Auto Zone 10 years 2 months ago #97924

Re:Resin/fiberglass at Auto Zone 10 years 2 months ago #97934

Thank you - it seems I need to learn a lot more about fiberglass, resin and gelcoats - I have no idea what to order to do repairs on my boat at the moment the hull is in good shape with just a couple of very minor dings to repair - I need to use fiberglass and resin to strengthen the interior around where the new wood interior transom will be put.

Re:Resin/fiberglass at Auto Zone 10 years 2 months ago #97942

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
great site, thanks gil.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Resin/fiberglass at Auto Zone 10 years 2 months ago #97946

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
well after reading that post , I guess I,ll have to junk my fiberglass boats, as I have been using 3m resin for years. thanks for the heads up as I sure don,t want them to fall apart in the lake. greg

Re:Resin/fiberglass at Auto Zone 10 years 2 months ago #97957

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I've used the 3M brand of resin in a pinch when I was between shipments from my regular supplier;
www.uscomposites.com/
It did just fine, but you have to remember it does have wax in it to promote curing! This means you have to sand and clean with acetone before the next layer, not a "laminating resin".

I've heard all the horror stories of folks buying resin from the "big box stores" only to have issues with it not setting up properly, poor adhesion, etc... I think the main thing is resin has a short shelf life, I'd stay away from anything with a date code over a year old!

Just my two cents worth.....

Mark

Re:Resin/fiberglass at Auto Zone 10 years 2 months ago #97968

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Whats wrong with what first mentioned? I just used same.(Bondo, but it was in a black and red can from AZ)on a wood boat repair, and a FG dingy. Zero problems. I do agree on fresh stuff. And using the correct amount hardener for the temp and humidity.

My only bitch is now $20 a qt!

Re:Resin/fiberglass at Auto Zone 10 years 2 months ago #98118

Polyester Resin from the Big Box Stores or the AutoSupply houses ALL have wax in them and ALL use TALC as a filler agent. Both of these are problematic when used in the Marine environment. Polyester resin does have some porosity when it comes to water reseistance and using TALC makes it even more problematic especially if being used for repairs below the waterline. Wax is fine as long as you do Wet on Wet layups but if you allow the layup to cure then the next layup can be tricky. The wax makes it necessary to sand the previous layer and wash it down thoroughly with Acetone to ensure a good and proper bond. And finally as stated @ $20 a quart it's extremely expensive when compared to the laminating resins from the other retailers. Typical Marine Laminating resins are $30 per Gallon.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online