Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adhesive/glue/resin question

Adhesive/glue/resin question 10 years 2 months ago #97861

I am pecking away at removing the old wood inside the transom. I am getting to the point where I can cut out and insert new wood - once this is securely in place I am going to push the layer of outside fiberglass back into position and want to make sure it is well glued to the wood - what would you suggest to do this? I was thinking of:
a. Commercial grade contact adhesive - like you use to put fiber tiles to flooring - I like this idea as it gives time to position everything.
b. Some kind of construction adhesive?
c. Fiberglass resin mix? Would that keep it glued together?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Adhesive/glue/resin question 10 years 2 months ago #97862

My choice would be 3M 5200 adhesive/sealant

Re:Adhesive/glue/resin question 10 years 2 months ago #97878

I would say resin mix.

Bob

Re:Adhesive/glue/resin question 10 years 2 months ago #97882

Thanks - are you referring to the resin hardner mix? would you suggest thinning it out or using as is?

Re:Adhesive/glue/resin question 10 years 2 months ago #97884

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I'm with Chuck...3M 5200. I have used it on every similar restoration I have ever done...zero issues.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Adhesive/glue/resin question 10 years 2 months ago #97904

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Britcheflee wrote:

Thanks - are you referring to the resin hardner mix? would you suggest thinning it out or using as is?

If you use resin you'll want to thicken it first Lee, aka "Peanut Butter" consistency. I've also seen folks use a layer or two of CSM (chopped strand mat) between the wooden transom and the hull, then clamp (squeeze) it together to cure overnight.

Chuck and Jan (Nautilus) know a lot, so I wouldn't be afraid to follow their recommendations either! One thing about 5200 though, the regular formula takes 7 days to cure fully. Not sure about the "quick cure", don't have any experience with that....

Mark

Re:Adhesive/glue/resin question 10 years 2 months ago #97917

5200 is great stuff. Living in the Southwest where humidity can be single digits, I found that in very dry weather it can take much longer than 7 days to cure. It needs some amount of moisture to cure. Once it's cured, it's permanent. I've never had the opportunity to use it on a transom repair.

Re:Adhesive/glue/resin question 10 years 2 months ago #97921

OK thank you - I have to put two layers of 5/8 plywood in there - I might use the adhesive between the layers of wood and resin mix thick between wood and exterior fiberglass.

Re:Adhesive/glue/resin question 10 years 2 months ago #98119

This is how I do it...
Epoxy

When using Epoxy for your transom it's basically the same as for Stringers. You'll use 17 oz Cloth instead of 1708 Biaxial and NO CSM! Everything else is basically the same. Always precoat your wood with a coat of resin then apply you first layer of cloth. Ensure all air bubbles are worked out Pay attention to the edges.

Polyester Resin

Note: When using screws as clamps, it's best to predrill the holes a bit oversiized on one piece of the transom. This keeps the piece from catching the screw threads and allows the other piece to be drawn up tight against the pre-drilled piece.

Pics of clamps I recommend for clamping an Outboard Style Transom when the top cap of the boat has been removed. I modified the construction of them just a bit using bolts instead of all thread. Takes a bit longer to build em but I like em better. Doing it this way I can use my 3/8" air drive ratchet to tighten em down which make is a lot faster to clamp em down. You need to be as fast as possible when you are using that much PB. Don't want it to set up on you before you get it clamped in place. Speed is of the essence!!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online