Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unsuccesful Boat launch Help

Unsuccesful Boat launch Help 10 years 2 months ago #97722

Hello All, Well after working on my 1961 Squallking with a 1963 Johnson Super Sea Horse 40 HP for a month now. It starts and runs good but when I go to put it in Forward the Prop is not turning. It does in Reverse good. Its like something not going into gear all the way. Kinda Baffled here. This Boat has not been in the Water for 20 years but I have Replaced all the seals and a New Inpeller. Its cooling good but no Forward. Thankyou very much in Advance for any help on this matter. Tom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Unsuccesful Boat launch Help 10 years 2 months ago #97728

I'm assuming this is an Electramatic (electric shift) model? If it has a single lever control that operates both throttle and gearshift, then it's an electric shift model. (Both motor and control will have "Electramatic" on them.) These tend to be more troublesome as they age.

There are others on this board who may chime in on what to look for and perhaps give ideas on repair. Otherwise, find a shop that specializes in fixing older Johnson's and Evinrudes. The electric shift was available as an option on many 40 hp and up OMC outboards from 1962-1972, and standard on OMC stern drives until 1977. The Evinrudes had push buttons for shifting control.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Unsuccesful Boat launch Help 10 years 2 months ago #97761

one or multiple problems, (not to discourage you), First you need to find out if you have power going to the electron-magnet in the lower unit, then if you have power to the magnet the next likely problem is the tab on the spring/clutch of the magnet in the lower unit for the forward drive magnet (it may have broken off). anouther possibility is a bad magnet for forward gear.

Re:Unsuccesful Boat launch Help 10 years 2 months ago #97770

If it is an Electromatic shift, make sure you use Type C oil in the lower unit. If you use the regular stuff, it will slip.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Unsuccesful Boat launch Help 10 years 2 months ago #97833

Hello All, This is a up date on my Problem I had with Launching my Boat, and got it in the water. Found out that my Impeller was spinning the wrong way and that I also needed to put in a New Thermostat. Did all that Fired rt on up too. Also Found upon closer Inspection that my Forward Shift Rod was not all the way in.:( Fixed that too with the Wifes help.(Bad Eyes) So back to the Launch and put her back in and CLICK no Start. Battery Dead. Went out and got a New Deep Cycle Marine Battery another 120.00. Wow shes running like a kitten in heat. Happy Dance. For all those that responded to this Help I Thankyou very much. Tom

Re:Unsuccesful Boat launch Help 10 years 2 months ago #97848

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad you got her all sorted out Tom, hope you have happy boating the rest of the season! ;)

Mark

Re:Unsuccesful Boat launch Help 10 years 2 months ago #97859

Glad it got resolved this quickly. Have a great season - lots of boating time left.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online