Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can you tell me what this boat is?

Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97675

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am looking at this cat style boat that is a couple hours away from me. However, the seller "got it from a guy" and doesn't know what it is. I'm just wondering if it is worth my time to go look at it.
Let me know if you can tell from the picture what I am looking at.
Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97679

Custom Craft

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97689

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I thought it might be. Any idea which model? Is this a desirable boat? I can't stop thinking about it...

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97691

My guess is that there are about 100 people on here wishing it was theirs. Me for one.

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97697

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Just heard back from the seller...he said the only badge he could find says Hydrocon.
Thoughts?

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97698

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Can I assume he sent me a typo and it's a Hydrocat?

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97700

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Oh, and he says it has a 150hp motor....

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97703

Buy it before it get's away... assuming it's going for a good price.

Hello, World!!

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97772

Any more photos?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97774

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Here are the only other pictures I have. I asked him Friday to send me a couple more and to verify the HP on the motor, but he takes some time to get back to me...
Attachments:

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97794

Drb007,

WELCOME ABOARD. Nice-looking rig too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97805

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
it's not my rig...yet. I am working on it. I almost went today, but it turns out he is 3 1/2 hours away, not 2. Also, the trailer has no working lights. I am hoping I can still work out some time this week to run to get it.
Here some more pictures he sent me. Does anyone know what the heck it is?
Oh, and it's a 75 hp Evinrude.
Attachments:

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97886

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I'm going to get this on Wednesday. Can anyone confirm that this is likely a Custom Craft?

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97932

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Ah well, never mind. I think the seller played two of us off each other. I was first in on the boat, and was heading down to look when he told me another guy was interested. I held off as I didn't want to waste 7 hours of driving. Then we had it set for tomorrow, as the other guy couldn't come until the weekend, and still needed to get his wife's permission. We agreed on a price, I rearranged my schedule, etc. Got a text today that it is sold. I am guessing he called the other guy and get another $50 out of him.
I was to buy it for $400.
In a way it is kind of a relief, as my daughter just bought her Steury to restore. I didn't really NEED another boat.

I really hope someone on this site got it, as I would still like to know what it is, and it would be fund to see it fixed up.

I still don't think it is a Custom Craft.

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #97978

Had it happen twice. Last time was while I was out of town & got a CL notice about an inexpensive 12ft aluminum fishing boat.

Traded an email or 2, talked twice, he sent some pix and we made an agreement on $ & set a day/time later in the week for me to pick it up. Seller called about 24hrs later: Sold.

It was a let down for sure, BUT in hindsight I couldn't be happier he sold it.

Ended up buying a boat, motor, trailer. Did a little work to the boat, sold it for about what I bought an even better boat to put on the trailer & mount the OB on. We love it.

It will work out.

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #98371

Hi Mates,
I have the HYDROCON. It's crazy looking boat, and a dream come true for me. I've been looking for many years for a tunnel hull boat and now I have one WOW!!!!
I took a big chance on this one, like never before, I sent the guy a P.O. money order overnight for the boat sight unseen, Biggest gamble ever for me. But looks like I hit the jackpot on this.
I live in the North woods of Wisconsin and the boat was 7 1/2 hrs. from here. The trip to pick her up is a long bumpy one with blown odd size tires, road construction, and all. I will tell that story here when time permits. And will post pics when I learn how.
I'm leaving now to find some old boat parts to hopefully put her in the water @ the AOMCI meet @ Tomahawk Wis. July 30-Aug 2. I put her in a barrel and she runs hot wired. Water pump seems a bit weak.
More to come, Gene

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #98395

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Gene, and congrats on the Hydrocon deal. We've got several folks very familiar with the ole OMC's (Evinrude, Johnson), I'm sure they'd be glad to walk you through replacing the water pump impeller. (HIGHLY recommended when the condition is unknown!)

Hang in there Drb007, your best deal is coming to you soon I'm sure! ;)

Mark

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #98411

Hi Mark, Thanks for the welcome!!
I did not even know this thread existed until I was back with the boat. My electrician friend who is helping me wire the boat told me about it, he was looking for manufacture info. I had looked in the Fiberglassics library for info but the Hydrocon badge I believe is just a model and no leads yet as to the maker. I have not found any ID plate on it anywhere, so for now I guess she is a orphan. I'm hoping someone at the AOMCI meet can help me with IDing her.
The water pump is a real concern for me because I never have been around an early V4 OMC before. With the shifter in neutral at high speed idle it really blows a lot of water but at low idle very little mist only? It has a red bulb hanging under the dash that we are guessing is a over heat warning lamp. It appears to have a temp sending unit in the right head (looking from the rear)with a single wire, but I know not how to check if it is working.

@Drb007 I truly hope for no hard feelings as I had no idea who was looking at the boat, the seller just said he was in contact with someone near Madison Wis. and she would go to first money so I sent a P.O. check. I hope you find the boat of your dreams.

Regards, Gene

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #98418

gene gene,

WELCOME ABOARD. - At least someone got it to save from destruction.

I recently was unable to go get a "nearly free" & QUITE RARE, TX-built boat/motor/trailer & just this past Tuesday found out that it had been sold to scrap & "recycled" into scrap metal, the hull was crushed & buried. = That almost make me physically sick, as it is possibly the LAST hull extant by that maker.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #98422

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Gene,
Welcome aboard! Please, absolutely no need for concern! No hard feelings in any way! Actually, my 14 yo daughter had just gotten a 15ft Steury runabout 2 weeks prior, and it was pushing the limits with my very understanding wife to even think about this one. The reality is that I have no time to add another project. I just thought the boat was super cool! I was actually relieved when he texted me to say it had sold, and after reading about your trip home, I am again relieved that I missed out on it:)
Now, that said, I would REALLY like to see this thing when it is done. I am in the Appleton, WI area, and my family has a lake home in Minocqua. Where abouts are you? I would drive up to see it when you've got it in the water.
Please, post your progress on this site so I can follow along!

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #98437

Hi to all here, and thanks for the welcome aboard.

@satx that is a sad story but it's happening every day, and it's our job to save as many as we can.

@Drb007 Thanks my friend, I will make sure that when she (I've yet to name her) proves sound we will meet somewhere, OK? I'm only about 1 1/2 hrs from Minocqua. I have 2 daughters 13 and 17 yrs old and they love boating as well, so this meet up will happen.

I spent most of the day adjusting the trailer for a proper fit to the boat. I don't think it was ever right, nor do I think the boat was trailed much. I have never wrenched on anything like this. Nearly every nut & bolt broke free with little effort, I believe we were breaking the original paint. Very cool!!!

Tomorrow Oh! I mean today my 1st mate Bob will be getting me some S.S. nuts and bolts so I can attempt to put cable steering system back together. Not sure how to wrap on the steering column so I will search for help here.

Regards, Gene

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #98442

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome aboard Gene, always glad to see another "up nort" guy in the mix from WI. The water impeller is a straight forward change with a socket wrench/extension and common sense. Most OMC dealers will have the parts readily avail, I know there are dealers here in Green Bay that have parts on the shelf.
Lots of knowledge and resources here for you to tap into and everyone is ready and willing to give.
Cal

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #98652

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I saw this boat this week at the tomahawk show that Gene brought it to.It is neat,,it has a cat type front with a V rear and a neat step in the transition,,It is wide and will be a great ride when it is done,, The more I think about it I wonder if it wasnt a canadian builder???it has a good look,it was nice to see Gene again,He was down a while back good Luck Bill

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #98663

Only thing I can find around the 1950-1960 time period is a Hydrocon, Inc. of Culver City, California, but they don't appear to have made boats. I found a 1960 water conditioner design patent assigned to this company...

In some ways, the stepped-hydro hull design reminds me of the Hydroglass boats made in San Pedro, CA.

Re:Can you tell me what this boat is? 10 years 2 months ago #98830

Hi all,
@ Bill, thanks for the good luck. I very much enjoyed the Tomahawk Nationals again this year, even though I didn't have a boat in the water. For me the highlight of the show was coming back to the boat and finding you (Bill) and Kefin looking her over. Your comments about her lines and how lucky I am to have her will be in my memory always. It was good to hear from you and Kefin that I'm not the only one to have done something as CRAZY as to have sent a check without seeing the boat. LOL

On the way home we (my brother Dave and I) stopped at a way side and when I got back to the boat there was a truck driver looking her over, his comment "that's one CRAZY looking boat". After that it seems every time we stopped Dave or I would say that's a CRAZY looking boat you've got there. So now she has a name "CRAZY". In 1962 Patsy Cline took the song CRAZY (a ballad composed by Willie Nelson) to #2 country hit, so the time might be about right for the age of the boat. Anyway I always liked the song.

More to come latter on my CRAZY trip to pick her up.

Regards, Gene

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online