• Page:

TOPIC: Want to add flip-up glass to flybridge windshield

Want to add flip-up glass to flybridge windshield 10 years 3 months ago #97633

• mtdoragary
  • mtdoragary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Anyone know how to do this? I need more AIR coming through the windshield area during summer!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Blest boater

Re:Want to add flip-up glass to flybridge windshield 10 years 2 months ago #97638

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Has to be similar to the safari windshields on the old VW vans. You might be able to use some of the hardware from those.

-Brian

Re:Want to add flip-up glass to flybridge windshield 10 years 2 months ago #97640

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Remove the top you are currently using which hooks to the windshield and install a Bimini top. The air coming in over the windshield will hit you right in the head and be more than enough to cool you off. Buy an 8' one and position it so that it overhangs the windshield by about 1'. That will give you shade and air.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Want to add flip-up glass to flybridge windshield 10 years 2 months ago #98498

• mtdoragary
  • mtdoragary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
That's what I originally had, but I didn't like what 47mph speed did to it. That's why I want flip up windshields. Had one in the center of my Fabuglas Commodore flybridge windshield and loved it!Nautilus wrote:

Remove the top you are currently using which hooks to the windshield and install a Bimini top. The air coming in over the windshield will hit you right in the head and be more than enough to cool you off. Buy an 8' one and position it so that it overhangs the windshield by about 1'. That will give you shade and air.

Blest boater

Re:Want to add flip-up glass to flybridge windshield 10 years 2 months ago #98516

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good to see you back Gary, Blessed Boater indeed! ;)

Mark

Re: Want to add flip-up glass to flybridge windshield 10 years 2 months ago #98519

I'd think you'd need to get a different windshield, or it would take major surgery on yours. You'd need to pull the glass, make or have a new frame made for it that can fit inside the current opening which has pivots on either side on top that attached to the corner and center braces. You could probably rig something, but I'd think it would take a good bit of engineering to make it look right and be strong enough to funtion well. For the heck of it, here are some I found on ebay. i swear, people think cause it's old it is worth a fortune!

then

Re:Want to add flip-up glass to flybridge windshield 10 years 2 months ago #98520

I think with a flip windshield you would need to fold your top down to flip it. I really like your windshield frame and would attack the top.

We had a Glastron V192 with a top that snapped to the windshield like yours. The front center had a panel that snapped to the windshield frame and had zippers on each side. Then it rolled up and was held in place with snap straps. It's designed for access to the walk thru bow area. All I every used it for was fresh air, it got very stuffy inside with it closed, even with the zip out windows and back removed. I've seen some that zip out to remove fully. I don't have a pic of ours but I found this one on the net.

canvascraftinc.com/boat-covers-tarps-and-upholstery/tops-and-enclosures/sun-tops
Attachments:

Re:Want to add flip-up glass to flybridge windshield 10 years 2 months ago #98584

• Onkyo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Not sue if this would help, but my 1964 Seacruiser has a flip up windshield. I did like it when I was out fishing. I don't remember how I posted the pic. but you can see it in the MFG owners page.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online