Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado?

Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97506

As a young new old Dorsett owner (ie: I am young but new to dorsetts which are old)and picked up what is registered as a 65 Dorsett. After research I thought I found that it was a Belmont but after reviewing random brochures etc. I don't see the Belmont listed in 65'. So on to my questions
1)Was there a Belmont made in 65 or just the el dorado. Boat is registered as 15'-6"
2)If both were made how do I tell the difference and at 15'-6" is there any other runabout styles made by dorsett that would fit the bill?

Please also be kind as in the pictures the boat looks rough. I have already gutted interior and have stringers glassed in and I am now working on new transom prior to laying deck. Splashwell will also be corrected just trying to remove all of the past owners band aids and do some work that I will trust my family in lieu of what is existing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More Time than Money! 1965 Dorsett that was butchered by previous owners but hull in decent shape.

Re: Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97507

Also tried uploading photos cropped and compressed and still too large....Not sure if I need to have a very poor camera to post on here.

More Time than Money! 1965 Dorsett that was butchered by previous owners but hull in decent shape.

Re: Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97508

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
joe you might have wanted to replace the transom core before putting in the stringers.....

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re: Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97510

Captain Shake...I mean Joe. The stringers stopped about 14" from the transom and sort of shallowed off. With this I felt I would be better creating a safe interior work space and preventing some hull flex without having issues due to stringers not touching? This could be way off as previous owner made some changes at splashwell that I wish he hadn't. Id prefer a soggy transom to a half a$$ed one. I have the filets in around stringers but now would be the time for me to stop prior to adding more. Seemed to be original stringers so I kept same design. If this is wrong does anyone have pick of original stringer layout.

Re: Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97511

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
also what format are your pics? jpg is the best for uploading pics.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re: Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97512

And this site is great I have been stalking it for about a week and had to join. What a great community!

Re: Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97513

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
joe.lrf wrote:

Captain Shake...I mean Joe. The stringers stopped about 14" from the transom and sort of shallowed off. With this I felt I would be better creating a safe interior work space and preventing some hull flex without having issues due to stringers not touching? This could be way off as previous owner made some changes at splashwell that I wish he hadn't. Id prefer a soggy transom to a half a$$ed one. I have the filets in around stringers but now would be the time for me to stop prior to adding more. Seemed to be original stringers so I kept same design. If this is wrong does anyone have pick of original stringer layout.

hmm let me see if ive any pics uploaded as im on the laptop n have no pics on here.....

Re: Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97515

Jpeg in high compression mode , and cropped

Re: Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97517

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
here's the best I can do today on the stringer pics, here's a link to my dorsett's resto post.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/member-projects/and-so-it-begins-1959-dorsett-catalina

Re:Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97518

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
all the stringers in my dorsetts have been 12" on center, centered off the keel, keel being empty.

Re:Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97520

Joe considering you are a more knowledgeable on these I am now worried. My boat has a stringer centered on the keel and one off center each side about 12". Overall interior is about 56" which leaves 16" between the outermost stringer and hull. With the shallow depth of the boat it seemed adequate as outermost stringers are only a couple inches deep at the most. I ran the original 3 and added cross braces to get rid of the sloped floor which in the past I have found to be easier than mounting everything at a slope. If you have seen the great blog with "whiskey Tango you will notice his seats both lean towards the inside. Every interior I find shows a drastic sloping which I believe is due to the minimal space and stringers.I have attached a picture that is the best I have been able to find across the net of a Belmont deck albeit carpeted :(. Even in this pic the flat stops at about 48" which is the standard width of plywood and where I plan on stopping my flat deck.
Attachments:

Re:Dorsett Belmont vs El Dorado? 10 years 3 months ago #97594

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
yep that's about right.. 48" wide to the outer stringers like in the pic.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online