• Page:

TOPIC: Steering conversion

Steering conversion 10 years 3 months ago #97333

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
After a couple of years of not being in the water, I am getting the Tomahawk (15' Spirit) back into shape. It has a mid-80s 50hp Johnson on it with pulley and cable steering. The problem I had was that the boat tended to pull to the right at full speed. I have not been able to figure out why. My thought was to convert the steering to a Teleflex or similar system that was probably paired with the motor to begin with. Does this make sense? Any problems, pitfalls or other recommendations? Any issues using a vintage wheel with that type of set up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Steering conversion 10 years 3 months ago #97358

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
1 - Glad to hear you're getting the Tomahawk out again Todd, hope you share some pics of the "resurrection".

2 - If your current steering wheel has the 3/4" taper shaft it should interchange with a newer single cable system, BUT.... Is the motor pulling to one side the only reason you're considering the change?

You might try adjusting the trim tab on the motor to the right (starboard) just a tad and see if that helps before changing out the entire system. Just a thought, share some pics of what you're dealing with when you get a chance.

Mark

Re:Steering conversion 10 years 3 months ago #97394

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The resurrection should not be too bad as long as the engine still runs. Mostly clean up.

I adjusted the trim tab, but that doesn't resolve the issue. The main reason to change this is to compensate for the pulling. I was thinking that an R&P system would make it a little easier. Not much pics can show.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Steering conversion 10 years 3 months ago #97428

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Trim tab, done. Try changing the tilt pin setting out one hole. Double check that the motor is centered properly. Add a passenger to check weight balance. Changing the steering system doesn't make the problem go away, only covers it up. A bit of sleuthing is in order, and testing is another excuse for more water time- BONUS!!!!!

Re:Steering conversion 10 years 3 months ago #97442

I had that problem with my '59 Fat Fifty. Solved it by switching it out for the '62 with the "67 80Hp inerds. Runs straight as an arrow now! LOL Now my problem was all torque steer, probably not the same issue with yours since by the '80's that was all worked out I believe. I would do like Kerry said first. I also set the cabling to compensate a little for the torques steer.

Bob

Re:Steering conversion 10 years 3 months ago #97456

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Torque steer, that's the term I was looking for. Probably going to have to go with some type of mechanical steering to compensate.

As far as the work on the boat, I get to do exciting things like paint the slatted floorboards and somewhat matching rear gas tank holder I built. This boat was never meant for a full restoration but do what I can that is close and make it salt water useable. More of a daily driver.

Shown here with Mattie the TV star
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Steering conversion 10 years 3 months ago #97465

Your coming right a long then. I see Mattie the Forman is making sure it gets done right. ;)

Bob

Re:Steering conversion 10 years 3 months ago #97478

I agree with Kerry's thought, and wonder if tilting the motor a bit more will eliminate 'bow-steer', where the bow of the boat is not lifted a smidge and consequently plows through the water creating excessive torque on the steering.
Another thought is if your helm is on the correct side of center for the prop rotation.
Port for left hand props, starboard for right hand props.
Doc

Re:Steering conversion 10 years 3 months ago #97481

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Been doing some research. Anybody familiar with Torque Tabs? Sounds like these things get used a lot in bass boats.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT