Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: removing corroded chrome rail fittings

removing corroded chrome rail fittings 10 years 3 months ago #97284

Need some ideas on removing badly corroded rail fittings. Some screws will not turn (some are stripped) and some have a piece of wood underneath the fiberglass that reinforced the railing. Do I cut them out? :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:removing corroded chrome rail fittings 10 years 3 months ago #97296

well here is something else i have first hand experience with. first question do you want to use the hardware again. that will guide you in which way you try to remove them. i had alot of chrome fittings railing cleats bollard chocks hinges and most all of them the screws were worn out. fittings are ok but the heads just crumble. if you can get under to the nuts , cut grind what ever to save the hardware. if your good you can take a drill bit just a little bigger than the stud of the screw and drill out the head. be careful slow and steady. that screw extractor kit you can buy off tv, i dont know if that would work or not. im old school .
then assess the area where the hardware was and decide if your going back or filling and removing either way i would put a little piece of wood under the area removing the hardware or not in case in the future you want to add something later the support will be there. i am going back with most of the trim but i am hoping if i buy new i can use or cover the old mountings up i will remove some( cant afford to restore ) it and new trim is cheaper than rechroming. i hope this helps and you will get a few more ideas sooner tha later im sure.

Re:removing corroded chrome rail fittings 10 years 3 months ago #97306

Thanks! I've got new fittings, so I am removing everything. I did keep the rails, though and am shining them up. The original fittings had a wood block underneath, but there is no way I can reach them now, since that was done at the manufacturer before the boat was fitted together.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online