• Page:

TOPIC: Replacement cap for portable tank

Replacement cap for portable tank 10 years 3 months ago #97120

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
How did this become so complicated? I have a little 3 gallon plastic tank that came with a 6 hp Nissan kicker. Looks like a standard screw-on fill cap. After years of use, the clear plastic over the fuel gauge cracked. The thing is gassing me out (pun intended) when I travel with it in the back of my Bronco. Searched for a replacement cap, with or without gauge, And can't seem to find a manufacturer that will just say, this fits the majority of older screw-on caps for portable tanks. Moeller Marine makes some, but they only reference fit to Moeller made tanks. They make one that might fit, described as a "Manually vented and self venting" cap. Well, my old one is self venting and that is not a good thing. Anyone know of a source for a good old fashioned style cap? I think this whole problem was created by the good folks that made a $20 plastic tank into a $75 one. :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Replacement cap for portable tank 10 years 3 months ago #97124

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Have you priced a 12 gal plastic tank lately Norm, they're $100+ ! I feel your pain, but have some good news. I have an older Tempo brand tank (6 gal) as an emergency reserve, and the cap was somehow lost in the garage. I ordered one of the new caps from Moeller, and it fits perfectly. Not sure about the 3 gal tanks, but I'm betting they're all the same cap?

It's not going to have the clear plastic part for the gauge, but inhaling gas fumes while driving can be deadly as you know. Good luck, hope this helps.

Mark

Re:Replacement cap for portable tank 10 years 3 months ago #97137

Did you call the manufacturer? Can't help with the cover, but as additional info, I have an old 6 gal. Tempo tank that the gasket in the filler went. I called them and they said they'd send me a new cap free, even though all I wanted was the gasket. Well the new cap came, but it was the new pressure one, that allow the tank to swell before depressurizing. Well, not that i did this of course, safety first, but i discovered that the gasket in the new cap would fit the old. Just a point of information...

Re:Replacement cap for portable tank 10 years 3 months ago #97139

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks guys. I'll try the Moeller cap. The little Nissan uses so little gas that I really don't need a gauge. Ever get the feeling that the folks in D.C. that pass these laws might just own stock in the companies that sell the new and improved (and expensive) parts?

Mark, did the cap you bought look like one of these? Looks like the first one is discontinued. I ordered a low profile one.

Attachments:

Re:Replacement cap for portable tank 10 years 3 months ago #97142

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks just like the one in the bottom picture Norm. (Manual vent)

Mark

Re:Replacement cap for portable tank 10 years 2 months ago #97686

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I got the replacement Moeller cap today, the low profile manual and self venting one, Part number 621501-10. Package says it's for use on portable fuel tanks 2010 and older, Non-EPA compliant. Perfect fit on my older Nissan tank. $16.30 including shipping. The Nissan tank has no manufacturer's name on it, just Nissan plus lots of notes in various languages. I'm glad it worked with the Moeller cap, saved me some $$.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online