Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new member new (old boat) pics

new member new (old boat) pics 10 years 3 months ago #96918

Hello,
I hope I am in the right part of the forum - I recently purchased a 1959 Dorsett Catalina - came with a 1959 mercury Mark 55A and a solid trailer. It is in poor condition but nearly all the repairs are wood related - I am sure the poor thing just sat out in the weather for many many years.
I attach a few before pictures - I had a friend of mine come over today - he is a professional wood worker and has worked on boats before - my first task was to remove all the rotten wood in the transom (not too difficult as it crumbled away) I have about 90% of this now done and next will cut back the floor area to expose the bad wood supports - he said he can fabricate new wood sections to replace the old stuff in the transom. The floor area is a pretty easy replacement and, although it looks horrible the rest of the wood parts he said could easily be replaced - said he had a fair amount of mahogany to do the job too.
The mercury outboard is not going so well - it is seized up - I am hoping it is just caused by the rings sticking to the cylinder walls - I have a good squirt of marvel mystery oil in there at the moment and have the flywheel off - I expected to find points under there but just the part the timing belt attaches to - I am assuming the point (are there any?) are inside the bottom of the magneto?
If there is anyone here with experience with the old mercury engines would much appreciate any advice. I would really appreciate any advice regarding transom repair, any pictures of inside finished boats so I can get an idea of internal color, design and dash for binnacle area.
OK enough for now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: new member new (old boat) pics 10 years 3 months ago #96927

Britchflee,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Sounds like you are well on your way to a restoration. = CONGRADS.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:new member new (old boat) pics 10 years 3 months ago #96934

Welcome aboard, i too purchased a 59 dorsett catalina this May it also came with a mark 55 ae. its been on the water a few times this year but will undergo a redo very soon. i was lucky , got it from a family that bought it new in 59, also came with alot of original paper work and manuals. the merc hadn't run for 3 to 4 years, but with the help of people on this site they walked me through the steps of what to do an after about 2 weeks of work, she fired up on the second try, runs great ! so good luck and pics would be good madbohunk safe boating
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online