Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Total newbie jumping in the deep end

Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #96899

Hey all, my name is John. I'm 24 and in New Hampshire and just purchased my first boat (A 14' crestliner runabout, based on light research it's from the 60's, with 40hp Johnson and trailer.)

I will likely be looking for a lot of advice, as this was someone's project boat, they sold it, and then that person sold it. The paint is all chipping, some of it all the way down to (but thankfully not through) the fiberglass. The floor has already been pulled out and needs redoing. It's been sitting un-run for probably decades, and I have little experience with any of this!

So I'm going to have a lot of fun. :) I will post some pictures soon for those who want to see.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #96906

Johntcagle,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Fwiw, NUMEROUS FG members have started out with "trash" & ended up, after many hours of labor, with a "treasure".

LOTS of members here are willing to offer WISE advice to newcomers in their various projects.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #96907

Thanks for the welcome! I have a picture of the info, I think I have narrowed it down to being a Sandpiper, but not the year. Some other pictures of the boat as it is now.

Re: Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #96915

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Have you checked out the library site on the home page? Lot of info on Crestliner in the aluminum section,for some reason it is not listed in the fiberglass column.You may want to take the serial number off the engine to find out what year it is.In many,if not most cases the engine is the same year as the boat when you end up with a older combo rig..You should have fun with it when your done,good luck!

cool runnings Mr 88

Re: Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #96947

I will definitely do that! Thanks. Now the big question... Do I bring the motor to life first, or the hull? My research says change out all the seals in the motor and hoses and everything rubber, since the old stuff doesn't handle modern fuel mixtures well. Right?

Re:Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #96960

Welcome aboard!

Also look at the Retro Crestliner website, with a nice collection of brochures and a discussion forum.

Andreas

Re: Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #96965

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Johntcagle wrote:

........ Now the big question... Do I bring the motor to life first, or the hull? My research says change out all the seals in the motor and hoses and everything rubber, since the old stuff doesn't handle modern fuel mixtures well. Right?

I found it a nice change of pace to work on one for a while, then switch over to work on the other. When you get tired of sanding and grinding, etc. you can work on the motor for a while as something different.

You're also right on track with your thoughts on "refreshing" the motor / fuel system IMHO. A good tune-up including a carb cleaning and new water pump impeller and fresh gear lube is always a good idea.

Mark

Re: Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #96966

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome John, Ditto on what Mark said. Sometimes frustration will set in while working on the hull, switch to the motor. Build yourself some kind of sturdy stand for the motor. It'll have to come off the boat anyway.

Cal

Re: Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #96978

Welcome, Looks like the 63 sandpiper i sold this spring, same color too. good luck with the project it'll be a fun one!! madbohunk safe boating

Re: Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #97014

Did you deliver it to NH? The guy I bought it from had just had it delivered a couple weeks ago, but his wife was pissed that he had put another project in the driveway, so she made him sell it.

But yeah, it's either a 63 or 64, I need to check serial numbers before I can know with a bit more certainty.

Re:Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #97043

Welcome aboard John,
The guys have already given great advice to get you started!
Keep us posted! You can also start a thread in "members projects"
That goddy green and white on your motor makes me wonna say it's a 66 or 67? IMHO
Matt

1967 Crownline-for the river
1960 Whitehouse-for the lake
1963 Starcraft-for fishing

Re:Total newbie jumping in the deep end 10 years 3 months ago #97054

Looking forward to reading and following this journey

The ONLY Easy Day Was Yesterday
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle