Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cutter help I just joined

Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96838

Hello everyone my name is Donovan and I just joined after purchasing an old classic that happens to be a Cutter. After research I believe this to be the Avon model from 1959, but that is all I know other than I have not seen another one like it after hours of searching. Can anyone offer any insight? I basically bought it because it was cheap and, well, just plain cool. I have a lot of pictures but I'm going to try to include one or two here. Thanks!

*so I can't figure out how to resize my photos on this phone. Apparently it's smarter than me. Would it be against any forum rules to post a link to my photo bucket library?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96839

Maybe I figured it out.
Attachments:

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96840

I can not find another one with two outboards. They are Johnson Super Sea Horse 35hp. I assume to be original.
Attachments:

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96841

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Very nice set-up.
Regards,
StevieB

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96842

Hey thanks! I'm hoping to gain a little knowledge about the boat like how rare is it to have an outboard setup like this, value, etc. It sits on a pretty old trailer. I am unable to find any ID on it but I've seen enough to know it's not even close to new. I don't figure I did too bad at $300 for all of it. It wasnt exactly what I wanted so I'm considering selling it and continuing my search. I'd really like to have something smaller around 14ft.

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96844

dvansays,

WELCOME ABOARD.

NICE RIG. - You did WELL.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96851

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Donovan. Nice find, and you got a great deal IMHO. The Cutter is a very well built boat, I had a 1961 Cutter Tornado (my first Glassic). Wish I'd have hung on to her, think long and hard before you "flip" this one. Not many around with the twin Johnson set-up like that, pretty cool! Have you visited the Glassic Library yet, some good info on their history there;
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Cutter

Mark

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96860

Yes that's actually how I found this website, in my search for Cutter knowledge. I read all the info provided on Cutter and even a few threads. I would love to restore this boat but my worry is that it would cost so much to get the Johnsons running again that I wouldn't be able to afford to take the boat out! I had considered repowering her but that would be a crime. Am I right?

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96863

Welcome aboard. :lol:

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96867

On older boats, some like re-power engines as they have good reasons to do it and others think it is a sin.

If you plan to have the boat entered into classic boat shows, original power is praised.

If you want to use the boat, replacement power may prove benefits.

You are the skipper of your craft.... it is up to you.

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96869

Welcome aboard!
Very cool rig!!
I always wanted a twin outboard!

1967 Crownline-for the river
1960 Whitehouse-for the lake
1963 Starcraft-for fishing

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96873

no real sin in repowering....but at what price?? could take one off if it is rebuildable (plugs, points, condenser,impeller) and run one for the season....put them both back on later...john

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96883

Yes sir that is one of my concerns is how much it would cost to get them running. I know just about nothing about outboards and what little I do know goes down the drain when I pop the lid off of these things. There's so many parts stuffed in there all I can do is scratch my head. So, this may be something I would have to have a professional for. I'm pretty sure they're both freed up, so that's a good thing. Maybe it won't take much to get them running. I'm crossing my fingers. I probably need to look for some service manuals for them. Also, what does everyone think about the two lever control per motor? I know if I was driving this thingame I'd feel like a barge caprain with all these levers to control my motors, but how much more complicated is it? It seems to me that one could potentially damage the gearboxes if not throttled down enough when shifting. But it does look pretty cool.

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #96885

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The older OMC's (Johnson and Evinrude brands) are some of the easier ones to work on IMHO. Parts are readily available, and very reasonably priced compared to some others. (Several local auto parts stores like NAPA, O'Reilly, etc. carry the Sierra brand of replacement parts!)

A repair manual will come in handy, there are even some versions available to download online for free. Basic hand tools, a little "can do" attitude, and the JEGO Forum are all you really need! We have several members here who know these motors inside and out, always glad to lend a hand.

It's your call of course D'van, but I would at least check them out to see if you've got something worth messing with there. Those twins are too cool! A basic compression test, spark test, and probably carb clean up can get you going in a lot of cases. Just DON'T try to start them without supplying water for the cooling system, even for a minute. (It fry's the rubber water pump impeller in very short order!)

Mark

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #97129

Hey thanks! I was really nervous about old motor = expensive parts. I didn't even know an auto part store would carry OMC part or be able to order them. I figure the water pump impellers would get replaced regardless jut to be safe. (Made that mistake before) I will definitely check out that forum. I would love for the original motors to stay on the boat even though I've read they are bit of gas hog's. She would be a real had turner on the water! Aside from the motors, I really don't think there will be too much work involved in getting the boat restored. I love how there is already no floor so the stringers are right there waiting for me. I just wish I could find some really good pictures of how this thing looked on the inside from the factory, but that's just a matter of digging deeper. Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated.

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #97138

I would only add that if your area has Ethanol, you may want to rebuild the fuel pump along with the carb. unless you KNOW they have been done. VERY easy on both, but do get manuals. Most parts (and all mentioined so far) are readily available for these if not locally, then online.

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #97526

Well, I suppose it is offcial. I will not be keeping the Cutter. My wife didn't quite support my decision to buy it so I had to compromise and I have to find an old classic she likes too. The good news is that I have found one and cheap.. I am unsure of the year but it is an Aristocraft Nineteen. There is no motor or outboard but the hull looks to be in great shape and since it's a hardtop, the original seats were protected and survived as well. And $400 didn't sound bad at all to me since the trailer was included. So.... the cutter is for sale. :(

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #97598

Those twins and controls wold look awflly good on that 19!! :)

Re:Cutter help I just joined 10 years 3 months ago #97613

Ahh yes!! I definitely agree! It would be a task converting from inboard but if done right would turn the head of everyone on the lake. I reckon some jackplates would make that possible due to the curvature of the transom. The gears in my head are really turning now!! Haha

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online