Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: spun propeller hub HELP

spun propeller hub HELP 10 years 3 months ago #96827

So I'm pretty sure my propeller hub is spun. Does anyone know if it can be fixed? It is a 12"x15" off a Volvo Penta AQ100 (BB70) from my 1961Hydrodyne. Do they just replace the rubber around the spline or do you have to find an all new hub? There are 12 splines on the shaft...is or was this a traditional set-up that is still used today? Can a universal hub be found?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dreams do become reality!

Re:spun propeller hub HELP 10 years 3 months ago #96835

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
If your prop has the pressed in hub you'll probably need to take it to a prop shop for repairs. I'm not familiar with western PA, maybe one of the gang can help you out with a recommendation on who to contact? Do you have a spare you can run until you get yours fixed, it's a bad time of year to be down for maintenance? May want to shop around on ebay for a spare in the meantime.

Mark

Re:spun propeller hub HELP 10 years 3 months ago #96846

had mine re-hubbed by a shop in pennnsy back in 2007. $50. it was a merc dealer. forget the name. ron

Re:spun propeller hub HELP 10 years 3 months ago #96858

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Long level marina was going to do mine for about $100. It needed some aluminum work too. I ended up buying a new prop with the plastic hub that you can replace yourself.

I eventually gave that hub to Tim to have him get it ready for my powercat mercs. Said it'll be about $80 or so.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:spun propeller hub HELP 10 years 3 months ago #96861

most marine repair shops have a re-hub and other prop repair services come to them. They take your prop in and wait for the prop shop service to send their van around weekly to pick up props in need of work. Your prop is repaired and sent back to the marine repair shop. You pick up your repaired prop from the shop you dropped it off at. Usually takes a 7 week to turn around from the day that the prop repair guy picked it up from the marine repair shop.

BTW, just like cereal in your grocery store, there is a wholesale price and a retail price for the work and pick up/drop off service. Each area of a state has different repair shop doing the work for all the shops in that area for years.

Most prop shops will not sell you prop repairs cheaper to you than what the marine service shop would charge you. If it got back that someone did, all his marine repair shops would drop him and he would be out of business.

BTW, the prop shop knows what to fix to get your boat running again with the prop. Do not worry that you may/may not found the issue.

I must have sent out about 500 props over the years I was a boat dealer/marine repair shop.

Re:spun propeller hub HELP 10 years 3 months ago #96862

Try Here, They always treated me FAIR. I don't know if they do them but I bet they know someone who does.
And it is right near you. I'm in Kittanning.
www.bobwarrenboatsales.com/site_page_690/

Re:spun propeller hub HELP 10 years 3 months ago #96882

CAVU

Re:spun propeller hub HELP 10 years 3 months ago #96991

Thanks to everyone for all the help. So, I finally found a prop hub dealer that thinks they have 2 of the hub I need...they said today was my lucky day:) Well, I ordered one just to be safe. I am going to send it to the prop shop and see what they can do. One prop guy I called said that it could be a glued in hub, which means it would not be repairable. I'm hoping that's not the case!!! I called Wilbur at French Creek Marina in NY and he said I could drill a hole and install a shear pin, but I wonder if that would really work or be safe? Any thoughts? He has a new prop, but it will cost me nearly $300, and I don't really have that kind of money to throw around. So, what would you do???

good news! Ready for Lake Chautauqua Show!!! 10 years 3 months ago #97189

I received the hub in the mail yesterday and it seems to be the correct one! Blackburn marine in Friesburg, PA is installing it. I talked to them and they said that if it is glued in, they can still get it out...few...what a relief. So, I get it back next Thursday, just in time for the weekend classic boat show at Lake Chautauqua, NY! I am stoked about this show! My wife and I discovered this lake last fall, and it's not too far away from Butler. There should be over 50 boats! Anyone else going? Would love to meet some FG members!

Re:good news! Ready for Lake Chautauqua Show!!! 10 years 3 months ago #97191

I won't be going but I'm only a half hour away from Butler. Oh and Bob Warren Boat Sales there treated me great. My first real outboard I bought used there many years ago. I got a 9.8 Mercury for $400. I took it home and it would sometimes pop out of gear. Although there was no warranty he gave me a whole new rebuilt lower unit for free. When I bought my 4 stroke Honda it was only 4 months old. A guy bought it and thought it was too small. I bought it for $1,000 less than new and he told me if it did not push my boat as well as the 9.8 he would give my money back, no questions. He was also willing to take my Mercury back on trade but told me I could sell it for about $650 on the open market and ask for $800. It sold for $650. I still get my parts there and have got free advise there many times. They are very friendly and helpful. My boating is for fishing. Here is my old Mercury. Same Boat with my Honda. This is The Babe, my boating Partner looking out at the Ford City Veterans Bridge. And if we ever meet don't be surprised if I do not look like my Avatar. This is Crooked Creek Lake.
Attachments:

Re:good news! Ready for Lake Chautauqua Show!!! 10 years 3 months ago #97196

I usually launch at the kittaning dock just beside the downtown bridge, but last season the "ramp" under the water was in bad shape...my trailer tires just sink in between the bricks or whatever they put in there. Also, after the terrible ice jam this winter and all the docks that were destroyed, I am fearful of taking the boat down the river...too many unseen obstacles. What do you think of the conditions right now?

Re:good news! Ready for Lake Chautauqua Show!!! 10 years 3 months ago #97203

I just checked out said launch less than an hour ago. Water is just shy of the parking and hard mud is everywhere. The dock is almost turned over and looks about half sunk. I like the Roston Ramp below Ford City better. It's the same pool. You got to watch the shoals. But there is good fishing around them. Check out Google maps aerial view and you can see locations. Some of the water will be less than a foot on the shoals. I love to fish Crooked Creek. If you want the pool above number 7 I go to the launch about 1 1/2 miles nORTH OF kITTANNING on the River Road. It's the Cowanshanock access. If you boat is large it difficult, narrow and not very deep. This is the Roston Ramp at the mouth of Crooked Creek This is Ross Island from Google Maps.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online