Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet

Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96541

Is vinyl flooring superior to boat carpet?

Will vinyl flooring from Home Depot work or do I have to use Marine Vinyl flooring?

Why is marine carpet so expensive?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The ONLY Easy Day Was Yesterday

Re: Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96545

PaulHolcomb,

Depends on what you mean by "superior". = Vinyl is much easier to keep clean but my experience is that it's SLICK when wet & that slickness makes it unsuitable (to me) for boat use.
(A friend of mine has used "kitchen floor vinyl" for years on the deck of his bay shrimper W/O problems, so water/fish guts, etc. hasn't been a problem.)

I suspect (but do NOT know) that the difference in "marine carpet" and indoor/outdoor carpet is the NAME & the PRICE.
(I carpeted my last bassboat with a "remnant" of indoor/outdoor carpet & it was still fine 4+ years later, when I sold the boat.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96558

Carpet in boats is yucko in my opinion.

Use marine vinyl flooring like Nautolex which is intended for wet use and it is not smooth therefore not slippery.

It can be obtained at almost any marine dealer or online at places like defender.com

Andreas

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96559

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Had carpet in my Glaston, never again. I would rather shell out the money for that faux teak stuff .

-Brian

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96575

The big problem with the carpet is it holds water and doesn't dry out that fast. Unless your floor is sealed real well your looking at rot.

Bob

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96580

I have used carpeting with success. You need to use indoor-outdoor carpet with no backing at all so the water can evaporate and not just stay wet all the time.

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96582

I bought some indoor outdoor carpet at Menards several years ago and still have it in the boat. It says it is made of recycled plastic bottles. It is soft like normal indoor outdoor carpet,not stiff like "Astro Turf" and it doesn't have any backing to retain water. After 7 years it is starting to show some wear in high traffic areas, but has lasted pretty well.
Bill

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96584

Well my mfg had what looked like astro tuff in it from the. Factory or soon after .. I am going back with tuff coat spray in coating a rubber type spray. Two gallons will run 175.00 spraying the floor full strength then straining it to go up the walls to seal the floor. Just my 1.50 worth..

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96595

I replaced my carpet twice in my MFG over the years and what was in it when I sold it this spring was showing wear but had some years left in it. Both carpets were indoor/outdoor and serviced me well. But My wood floor was sealed both top and bottom with a good undercoat and paint and was open to good circulation. Red carpet was the first I put in many years ago.
Attachments:

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96640

Thanks gentleman. I'm leaning towards vinyl but I'm also thinking of a remnant for indoor use to get me by as the local flooring place has some cheap pieces that will work.

Either way I'm sure it will work well

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96648

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I used marine carpet in my mfg. Just replaced the floor this winter.

The look and feel are OK and it is not slick when wet. But getting sand and dog hair out of it is a pain. I don't think the sand is ever coming out from the beach!

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96663

I simply use the pressure washer. Mine was built so I could lift the floor out with removal of two lag bolts.
Attachments:

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96692

I still like Nautolex. Many boats used it for floor covering. Its still available from Defender Industries. The product is reasonable money, too.
Larry

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96702

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The powercat will be getting something like Nautolex.

I tried pressure washing, then the shop vac. But my floor is not removable. Always seems to be more sand in a crack somewhere.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96708

Today I found some soft spots in the floor so it will all get torn out this winter as a" winter project".

Looks like I'm going to just throw a remnant in for the summer and decide the complete restoration for this Fall.

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96721

That will give time for planning and research also. Maybe even shopping for the best deal. Sounds like a plan. Oh and I pressure washed my entire interior also, not just when I took the deck out. I made it that way so I could inspect my wooden internal keel. I checked it every year. That boat was used for 100% fishing. My battery and box was kept in the bow. That is why the wire is there.
Attachments:

Re:Vinyl Flooring vs Carpet 10 years 3 months ago #96724

robert-lorigan wrote:

That will give time for planning and research also. Maybe even shopping for the best deal. Sounds like a plan. Oh and I pressure washed my entire interior also, not just when I took the deck out. I made it that way so I could inspect my wooden internal keel. I checked it every year. That boat was used for 100% fishing.

My battery and box was kept in the bow. That is why the wire is there.

I'm liking the idea of a removable floor very much!

Good idea...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle