• Page:

TOPIC: Mighty-mite outboard motor ? on tank

Mighty-mite outboard motor ? on tank 10 years 3 months ago #96186

• g3bill
  • g3bill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
A friend up in Green Valley Ca. with dead computer has a small Mighty-Mite, must be 1 1/2 - 3 hp, i'm not sure, he wants to use it on his canoe till his Del-Mar is fixed. The main issue is the Tanks insides are rust and pitted so wondering if theres any ideas out there on how to fix or replace the tank, he wants to keep it original as possible and not spend too much being on SS. He talks about having a welding shop seperate the tank at seam to clean it and would give access to push out a small dent also but dont think the dent is as important as the rust removal. I wonder if tank seam is welded or brazed. we know about Por-15 Tank sealer but he seems to think the rust should be removed and pits brazed from inside tank, sounds like over kill to me?. Any ideas appreciated. Tx ahead!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re: Mighty-mite outboard motor ? on tank 10 years 3 months ago #96189

g3bill,

For once here on FG, I have the answer. = Get a copy of any HEMMING'S MOTOR NEWS & look under SERVICES for the "rubberized tank slosh", that is advertized to seal antique gas & diesel tanks. = A pint bottle of that stuff is CHEAP & actually WORKS WELL.
(SORRY, but I've forgotten the company's name, though it's been in every issue for years. = One can will seal several rusty/leaking tanks.)

Fwiw, the pre-1969 models are 1.7HP and the later ones are 2.1HP.
(I once had one that I used on a 13x2.5 foot skiff, made of 5mm mahogany plywood. - It worked fine for that little light hull & certainly was better than paddling.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Mighty-mite outboard motor ? on tank 10 years 3 months ago #96192

• g3bill
  • g3bill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Satx, I'll print and mail that on to Russ with any other replies. I thought i had the HP wrong a bit :laugh: I searched and looks like a nice small motor, read the impeller is a close fit aluminum type so no rubber impeller to go bad if that info is correct...Bill

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re: Mighty-mite outboard motor ? on tank 10 years 3 months ago #96310

I'v had a few dozen of them and have 6 '48 through '70 now. The tanks are sweated (with solder ) together. A real pain to get back together. It is a way to smothe out all the dents but... A little filler and taping on the high spots is much easery. I have been using por 15 for a couple of years, it is very tough stuff. Do all the cleaning and prep before using. Still, it will not be realy clean, but por 15 will form a solid lining inside. I tried to get a tank apart that had it in it. IT IS TOUGH!!! Never had a leak on a dozen or more tanks. Just my view on it

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online