Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Um, Where do I start cutting?

Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96041

As mentioned in a previous post, on inspecting the transom I've found a rather severe crack. Additionally, some moron ripped out one of the seats and left the holes open to the elements for the 4 years the Belmont sat in a field. So lets assume (and I would gladly consider advice that I'm wrong on this) the whole transom is shot. Where do I start the demolition process? I've tried looking at the transom rebuilding link but the pics are all gone.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96045

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I wish I could answer this question with confidence in my answer.. I would thing that this repair would start from the inside out... I dunno, kinda hoping someone who knows their stuff will step in and answer this question.. I'm curious myself on this one.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96050

Yup Joe that's how I would do it from the inside.
When I replace a transome i start by cutting just enough of the "splash well" out so I have room to get new wood in and have room to work. Then i cut down the sides and across then floor to get the inside fiberglass out and then the "fun" task of getting stubborn pltywood out! That's usually very time consuming! Lots of luck to you zoom! Matt

1967 Crownline-for the river
1960 Whitehouse-for the lake
1963 Starcraft-for fishing

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96062

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Joe and matty are correct. This repair would be best working from the inside. First determine the height of the transom from the inside. Some transoms go above where the deck and gunwales mount and some do not. Some motor splash wells are molded in other are removable. This is important because you may need to raise the deck or remove it completely. If you don't need to remove the deck, COOL. Use a multi tool to remove the inner skin of the transom. Cut the skin about 1/2 inch from the sides, DO NOT CUT THE SIDES OF THE HULL!, cut only the inner transom skin. This will expose the transom's wood. Please be careful not to damage the out skin of the transom. The crack you have is a fairly simple repair. Please keep us posted on what you find.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96074

Zoomnbyu,

Welcome to the world of rotted boats. I've owned more rotted boats than I can remember - so here is my take on your question:

It is likely that your boat has more problems than just the transom. More often than not, the stringers under the floor are rotted as well. Taking on a project like this a lot of work, usually costs more than you think it will, and takes more time than you thought it would to complete. Because of these factors, ask yourself if this particular boat is truly worth it to YOU to go through the time, work, and cost to fix it. Seriously think about it. If the answer is "yes" , then you have some choices on how to go about dissecting the boat to assess what the repair needs are.

The back skin of the hull can be cut around the perimeter and peeled off to expose the plywood core (or what's left of it) I personally wouldn't do it this way, as it creates a lot of work and will severely weaken the structure of the boat, unless replaced correctly.

The rear couple feet of the deck and splashwell can be excised from the boat to give access to the area. Again, there will be a lot of work to graft this section back onto the rest of the boat after repairs are completed.

You can remove the entire top deck off of the hull. This sounds like a lot of work, and it pretty much is. However, removal of the deck will allow complete access to all parts of the hull. It isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, and having the hull opened up will make work far easier. Best of all, the deck can be put back on the hull the same way it came off. The other methods will require lots of glassing and skill to put back correctly.

All that said - take a bit of time to decide if this boat is the one you want to spend the time and money on. If it is - then have at it and have a little fun.

Good luck

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96083

Thanks for all the replies. Bruce, this is my first boat so I'd really like to save it and understand that I'm going to be underwater, pun intended. That said, I own an Audi so used to the feeling of throwing money at repairs. I would like to do what I can myself from an expense and hobby perspective but definitely am a newbie.

So what is the secret to removing the top deck if we go that route?

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96085

Hey Zoom, no secret you have to take rubber strips out of the bump rails and get the rails off. hopefully the two halfs are just revitted together and not glued, I never redid a Dorset yet so I don't know? It's not a bad route to go if you go that way, makes finishing easier! Post some pics please! Matt

1967 Crownline-for the river
1960 Whitehouse-for the lake
1963 Starcraft-for fishing

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96116

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Well "good on ya" Todd, and welcome aboard brother! IMHO your Dorsett is definitely worth the time and trouble, she'll make a fine cruiser when you're done. I think Bruce and the gang just wanted you to be aware it's not a "weekend's worth of work" like some people seem to think. A decent quality rebuild CAN be done by a first timer, there's no better way to learn than jumping in with both feet.

Hope to see you start a thread in the Projects section and document with pics, questions, etc. all in one thread. It makes it easier to follow both for us and for you in the end. ;)

Mark

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96126

MarkS wrote:

Well "good on ya" Todd, and welcome aboard brother! IMHO your Dorsett is definitely worth the time and trouble, she'll make a fine cruiser when you're done. I think Bruce and the gang just wanted you to be aware it's not a "weekend's worth of work" like some people seem to think. A decent quality rebuild CAN be done by a first timer, there's no better way to learn than jumping in with both feet.

Hope to see you start a thread in the Projects section and document with pics, questions, etc. all in one thread. It makes it easier to follow both for us and for you in the end. ;)

Thanks Mark. Ordered a motor stand (fyi walmart has a 315lb one for only $89.95 shipped and an electric I-beam hoist for moving the motor around. I can't build for that.), cleaned out a dedicated stall in my garage (wife's comment " so that's what it took for you to clean out the garage."), and started removing chrome bits and rubber rails in order to remove top section.

Anyone in the Omaha area that has too much time on their hands is welcome to stop by.

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96178

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for your info on this one guys, I was also curios as the lake n sea, is needing allot of hull repairs...

Psst, Zoom, I think madbohunk is in that area, and he's also a Dorsett guy like us. I think Mad and I are neck and neck when it comes to our Dorsett lineup..
good luck and keep us posted. I'll be back in the bilge of my belmont soon enough, as I want to use her SOOOOOONN lol

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96188

Shake, no your one up on me at the moment, as zoom now owns the belmont i sold a few months ago to the guy he got it from. and yes we have been in contact. looking at another dorsett , a daytona. madbohunk safe boating

Re:Um, Where do I start cutting? 10 years 3 months ago #96194

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
lol Mad, as I am "no longer" picking up any more boats for a while, you have plenty of time to catch back up. Observe the "no longer" part, as I am hoping and preying that no more boats pop up, within my range, that I can't live without hah.

I am glad you two are in contact. Can't wait to see the boats done up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online