Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Member, New Boat (to me), lot of quest.

New Member, New Boat (to me), lot of quest. 10 years 4 months ago #95776

At 46 I bought my first boat, a 1960 Dorsett Belmont, and very excited. Pics are below and I have a ton of questions.

The plan is to make her safe for this summer and then do a restomod, ie 90-95% stock with a couple of minor updates. Other than the horrible interior, a couple of antennas, and a butt ugly Broncos stencil she seems to be all there. So far all I've really done is confirm the motor turns by hand at the flywheel.

On to the questions:

1. Battery(s)? - Recommendations on 1 or 2 and if 2 the set up?
2. Fuel - One of the two mods I think I'm interested in is putting in a larger fuel cell, maybe 40 gallons. Input or recommendations on doing this? Concerned about handling and other effects of extra weight.
3. Interior (sorta mod 2) - very interested in pulling out what's there now and replacing with modified stock. The mod would be putting a bench in the back similar to Steven's Whiskey Tango. Ours didn't come stock but I really like the look and utility. Very very interested in purchasing anyone's stock interior.
4. Windshield - Several cracks in ours. I noticed two ads in the classifieds for NOS windshields. Any idea if they're a match? Not asking for anyone to research, just if you know off the top would appreciate the guidance.
5. Know next to nothing about the bottom end of the motor. Have the manual but other than an initial change of the oil, recommendations?
6. Floors and Transom - Transom seems solid and dry but is showing it's age and has been mickey mouse covered with silicon. Will probably have replaced quickly. Floors - One of the aftermarket seats was removed and the idiot didn't fill the holes. Rest of floor feels solid but am going to want to redo come winter. Where do I start and I mean from the very beginning? What is the best process to remove the existing floor?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: New Member, New Boat (to me), lot of quest. 10 years 4 months ago #95784

zoomnbyu,

1st, WELCOME ABOARD. = There are NUMEROUS legitimate experts on FG & we have EXPERTS here in Dorsett boats. - I'm NOT an "expert" in anything.
(I cannot see your photos, btw.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:New Member, New Boat (to me), lot of quest. 10 years 4 months ago #95813

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome zoomnbyu, glad to have you join us. I'm no expert either, but a couple thoughts on your questions;

1 - Single battery will be sufficient unless you plan on camping on board using 12v lights and accessories all night. Combination deep cycle / cranking batteries have come a long way, normally would be sufficient. If you do go with two, make sure you use a battery isolator and/or selector switch between the two.

2 - 40 gal of fuel seems like an awfully lot of weight to add, I think it weighs what - about 8lbs per gallon? The only way I'd even consider adding that much weight would be in a "belly tank" under the floor. (To keep the center of gravity low as possible.)

3 - Unless you're building a boat to compete in shows, make it the way you want it! Enjoyment to me is much more important that being exactly as built originally, just my opinion.

4 - Measure the height and width (from wing tip to wing tip) for the windshield needed. Some NOS and decent used pieces are available as you have mentioned.

5 - Any signs of oil leaks, note condition of lube oil when drained. Any presence of water (milky oil) and I'd recommend a seal kit for sure. It's also a MUST to replace the water pump impeller every couple years - the motors don't last long if this wears out or breaks off a rubber blade because it's brittle!

6 - IMHO unsealed mounting holes are probably the biggest reason floors, stringers, and transoms rot out. If it seems solid you may get a season or two out of the old girl before major surgery, but I would pull all hardware, motor, seats, etc. and reseal EVERY hole!

There is some excellent reference material in the Research/Restoration section of this site, and many knowledgeable members glad to lend a hand when you need it. Post some pics and let's get you started. LOL

(Pic posting assistance is in the Support Section at the top of the forum if you need it.)

Mark

Re:New Member, New Boat (to me), lot of quest. 10 years 4 months ago #95825

Welcome aboard. I'm not an expert either but I think I am. ;)

Re:New Member, New Boat (to me), lot of quest. 10 years 4 months ago #95841

Thanks for the quick replies.

Managed to get pics up, thanks for the guidance.

Suggestions on battery capacity?

Agree on the 40 gallons being a lot of weight. Basically going to be using it on local lakes and maybe the Missouri and don't want to be stopping for gas every hour or two. Maybe I dial back to 15-18g and thinking about converting one of the Dorsett emblems to a fill cap. Thinking that would make it easier to fill once the bench was installed.

5- Oil leak - Assuming you mean on the lower correct?

Thanks again all. On a side note had a chuckle that my commercial laundry equipment ad popped up on the side of the forum based on my being on our site earlier. Glad we're supporting.

Re:New Member, New Boat (to me), lot of quest. 10 years 4 months ago #95857

I'm new here too - but not new to boating.

I think you will be pleasently surprised with how far you can run on 5 gallons of gas. 40 is something you would use for a V8 inboard - if you don't feel 5 is enough - toss in a second & have 10 - really - unless you are going to run from Miami to Havana - you will have plenty for a day trip.

What the heck did I get myself into? Free boats are never free!

Re:New Member, New Boat (to me), lot of quest. 10 years 3 months ago #95957

Welcome, you'll find all kinds fof help here. I'll send a e-mail with my phone # as i live in bellevue off of 25th and 370 , i have a 59 dorsett catalina. give me a ring thanks madbohunk safe boating

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online