Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upholstery Question

Upholstery Question 10 years 4 months ago #95680

The upholstery on the seats in my boat feels dry and although it hasn't torn, feels pretty brittle.
I'm thinking it might be a thin layer of leather manufactured to a cloth backing - leatherette??

Is there any product that I could rub into the surface and perhaps soften the material with??

This appears to be original upholstery in an '88 Hydrostream Verado if that helps identify the material.

Thanks,
Thom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Upholstery Question 10 years 4 months ago #95682

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
A friend in the upholstery business gave me the tip of using 303 Aerospace protectant Thom, the stuff works magic! It softens old vinyl, leather, etc.. Spray it on and let it soak in out in the sun, repeat a few times on really tough stuff. Then wipe it down with a dry cloth and it's protected for another year. A little pricey, but well worth the money IMHO.

www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=303+aerospace

Mark

Re:Upholstery Question 10 years 4 months ago #95683

Making it less brittle is different than cleaning dirt, grime, and stuff off one's seats.

I do not have a vinyl only conditioner. Sorry,

I would use this.
Attachments:

Re:Upholstery Question 10 years 4 months ago #95684

Clean first and then use. Watch what you use to clean with. They usually hurt the vinyl to make it faster to clean. The gentle cleaners take a lot of time and elbow grease.

Re:Upholstery Question 10 years 4 months ago #95696

again, more conditioner and protector than a vinyl cleaner. I have used it and like it for that "change the feel" purpose.
Attachments:

Re:Upholstery Question 10 years 4 months ago #95719

Howdy Thom,
In our little world, we have used both the 303 protectant and their cleaner, and I would certainly buy it again. Chuck's recommended brand is well-respected, but I have no personal experience with it (it might be better, but I am very impressed with the 303 products).

Take Good Care,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Upholstery Question 10 years 4 months ago #95840

Thanks everybody!
I have purchased some 303 & some Leatherique Leather Rejuvenator and will post results once I receive the goodies & have played with 'em both.
Interestingly, the upholstery felt much softer out in the sun on the water yesterday, so maybe there is hope for the seats.
:laugh:
Doc

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online