Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chris Craft corsair

Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95616

Hello,
I have found what will turn out to be a large project. The fine gent I acquired it from thought it might be a 1968, I found an old registration that has it at 1967 but the hull number orez 2170235 N I believe is for a 1966.
It has a v6 that I can not find a number on but I believe it may be a Buick? Dauntless? The out drive is an OMC.
I have gleaned some information on a few other websites but really don't know much about her just yet. Any information in regards to this vessel is most appreciated.
Best,
Brett
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95617

Another view
Attachments:

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95618

Another view
Attachments:

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95620

Can we post more than one picture at a time?
Attachments:

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95621

Fold up table to access engine from front. V6 of some type, haven't found markings yet. Yes I have tried ;)
Attachments:

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95622

One more piece of eye candy
Attachments:

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95624

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Welcome to the site. Look for a tag on the motor. The little Buicks were 14 series motors. I have a 66 Buick out of an old Grady White. Electric shifting outdriveers.

hhscott.com/evinrude/omc_stringer.htm

Have fun
Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re: Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95629

Finefettle,

WELCOME ABOARD.

PURTY Corsair, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95634

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Brett, glad to have you join us. Looks like a great project boat, nice find!

You can post multiple pics in one post by hitting the "edit" button after you post the first pic, then add additional pics in this manner. (Hitting the edit button after adding each pic.) It's also okay to do it the way you are doing it, whichever you find easiest. ;)

Mark

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95653

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
yessir I can verify that your boat is a 1966 OREZ-17-001 to OREZ-17-250 are 1966, engine options were chris craft 225B, Mercury 120, or Eaton 140.
length 17-9"
Beam 7'-5"
weight 1540 lbs
fuel 21 us gallons

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95654

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
and it looks like you have the chris craft 225 engine option in yours, as Brunswick owned both chris craft and omc at the time your boat was built, I do believe....

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95901

Welcome aboard. Nice boat! I have a 1966 Chris-Craft Corsair Sport V outboard 17 1/2' ! If you search on the forum I am certain you will find some previous discussions and photos of my boat.

These boats were made at Cortland, NY by Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. - a wholly owned subsidiary of Chris-Craft. There should be a builder's plate near the helm, attached to the vertical portion of the wood grain cockpit liner thingy.

Brunswick never owned Chris-Craft or OMC. Brunswick owns Mercury, the builders of Mercury outboards and MerCruiser stern drives.

Andreas

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 4 months ago #95908

Bill Basler of Cedar Rapids, Iowa has a stern drive version of the Corsair, I believe a 1964 model year. He has written extensively about his restoration. Some articles with photos has been published in the magazine "The Brass Bell" and online in the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club forum.

Andreas

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 3 months ago #95967

Thank you Andreas for the information and the picture of your very cool boat.
Best,
Brett

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 3 months ago #96027

Another photo of my 66 Corsair. On Clear Lake in Iowa a few years ago:

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 3 months ago #96196

That is a fantastic motivational shot :)
I found Bills thread. Awesome build.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 3 months ago #97072

I can get a 1986 OMC 4.3v6. Will this bolt up to my stringer drive as a short block? It is a GM motor. If possible I would like to bolt up the 1966 parts to the 1986 short block.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 10 years 3 months ago #97187

Never mind. Won't work.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 8 months ago #104295

Ok gents,
After playing with another boat this past summer,it's time to give this boat her chance to float again.
I've starting to research outdrives as I have limited knowledge in this department. Engines I'm pretty good with.
The bottom end outdrive housing is cracked so that is the first hurdle and I haven't heard the motor run but she does turn by hand. I would like to keep her stock but have read others frustrations with the stringer drives. If I were to repower, what would be a good drive line to start looking for.
Thanks,
Brett

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 8 months ago #104300

Welcome back.

I cannot give you any advice on engines and outdrives, sorry. Not my cup of tea.

I had my '66 Corsair Sport V out on Lake Michigan's Green Bay a few times last summer.

Andreas

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 8 months ago #104303

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm no expert either Brett, but I believe it's a fairly major project to convert to another drive system? There are a couple real experts here (Jim Andros comes to mind) who could probably give you more info on what you've got.

There was a guy on the Johnson Evinrude Owners page on Facebook who was telling about sources for all the parts needed to bring the stringer system back to life, maybe I can provide you with the link to that discussion if you'd like.

Mark

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 8 months ago #104304

Thanks Andreas and Mark.
Mark, Im expecting a big job either way. If I go with a later model outdrive I will have to rebuild transom hole and retrofit. That said if I can find a bottom end I can give the drive that is on the boat a shot. I still haven't found that transom gasket though.
I will do a search for the Johnson Evinrude page. Im not a Facebook guy though so may not work.
I will keep searching in my spare time.
Thanks again,
Brett

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 8 months ago #104306

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I'm sure I have an OMC stringer outdrive that will work for you. I have parted-out several older boats with the Buick odd-fire V6's and have three or four complete units in storage. I also have all kinds of engine parts on the shelves...heads, distributors, intakes, exhaust manifolds, carbs, pumps...whatever.

The odd-fire Buicks are great engines and you're lucky to have found a Corsair with the "big" engine option.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 8 months ago #104314

Nautilus,

It's good to hear some positive comments on the stringer V6 set up. Even better that you have parts! :)
Feel free to contact me directly.
my screen name lower case letters @comcast.net

Thanks,
Brett

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 8 months ago #104324

For what it is worth, I have an old stringer off a '76 Reinell w/a chevy v8, don't know if it was a 305 or 350, but it turns by had and it's yurs if it helps. Was just going to pull the gears out and scrap it in the spring for what the aluinm is worth. Gearing is probably different, although the lower part may not be. I'm on long island.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 8 months ago #104499

Whatsleft, thanks for the offer. Very generous of you. I have a line on something closer and if that doesn't pan out I may hit you up on that before spring clean time.
Nautilus, great website :)

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 8 months ago #104504

Chris Craft Corsair, thats bad arse there

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 5 months ago #108518

I pulled the boat up from her winter rest and started to see what I have to do to get her going. I have found an outdrive that may work for parts on the lower end.
I started by removing engine masking and table from in front of the engine bay

before

after
Lots of room to get around :)

Not sure why my photos are turned 90* ?
Attachments:

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 5 months ago #108520

In this picture you will notice d freeze out plug missing and the old fuel pump with a glass cup.
Does this glass cup unscrew or just pull down when the cage wire is unscrewed and pushed to the side?
I was treating it like the tin cups on an Atomic 4 but that glass wasn't moving.
Attachments:

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 5 months ago #108522

I tried to turn my photos 90* on my end but no go. Oh well, at any rate at least there was progress today. I discovered that the starter is done for. Pulled her out and found bits of acorn and grassy stuff. I'm also missing two freeze out plugs and Im hoping that was done on purpose. I'm also concerned the same critter didn't build a nest inside the block.
One of my exhaust manifolds has a definite crack and both of them have been repaired before,

As a side note. I learned my phone is better than a mirror for finding the hidden starter bolt where I couldn't stick my head. I turned the viewing lens backwards (as if you were to "selfie") and stuck it where my head couldn't go (the 6" between the deck and engine block) and sure enough I can see under the blue beauty right on my screen.

Is this a neutral safety switch?
Attachments:

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 5 months ago #108535

finefettle,i used to have 51 chevy pickup with that kind of fuel bowl on it,if im right it should just pull down after being released

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 5 months ago #108551

Thanks. I thought as much but I figured it was worth asking before yanking to hard on it. I will soak it with some Wd40 and see if she will come.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 4 months ago #109717

Making progress.
Got the fuel pump glass off and cleaned up, rebuilt carb and installed new starter. Pulling outdrive before I start as I'm unsure of the impeller condition.
I know both my exhaust manifolds are cracked so will be keeping eyes peeled for those.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 4 months ago #109726

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have all the Buick Odd-fire V6 parts you would ever need...at least four engines worth. I also have an aluminum Offenhauser intake manifold for use with Edelbrock marine #1409 600 CFM carbs and a set of aluminum Kenne Bell (rare) valve covers.

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 4 months ago #109733

YES! I'm hoping to get some time to get her turned over this week. I will start to make a list :)
Thanks Nautilus.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 4 months ago #109740

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Compression (and cracks in the block!) is everything. I would advise you to pull the plugs, squirt some Marvel Mystery oil into each cylinder and leaving the plugs out, turn it over for about a full minute. Then replace the plugs and check the compression in each cylinder. You'd like to see 125 lbs with the engine cold/150 after it's been running and up to temp. If you have any cylinders with less than say 115, I'd do a hone and ring job or just find another block. No sense wasting time and money on a dog engine. Low compression in one cylinder in a V8 is bad/in a V6 it's critical.

"Success makes...

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 4 months ago #109742

I will do that. Thanks for the tip.

Re:Chris Craft corsair 9 years 4 months ago #110099

Well, bad news.
compression readings left bank back to front 110,170,90 right bank 160,170,70
I guess I will look around for another block or consider ring job.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online