• Page:

TOPIC: What is it and whats is worth?

What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95374

• madbohunk
  • madbohunk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Kinda cool, thinking about making an offer?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95380

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Cool. what kind of offer are they looking for?

Re: What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95383

Looks like a Herters flying fish to me. www.fiberglassics.com/library/Herters I am not sure how much they are worth, but I would say it is worth more than your average glassic. I suggest making the best offer you feel comfortable making and seeing if it is enough to buy it.

Re: What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95386

madbohunk,

The TRUTH about antique/classic boats, older OB motors, etc. is that they are worth exactly what a seller is willing to accept and/or what a willing buyer is willing to pay.
(There are NO established values for 99% of "our" boats.)

VERY FEW "vintage boats" are worth what they cost to restore, presuming that you count the labor involved as "valuable". = I know of a 1955 glass boat/motor/trailer here in SA that recently sold for LESS (in an estate sale) than the cost of the parts & paint to repair the rig and the rig was NICE.

This hobby is what one does for LOVE. -======> For example, I'm planning the restoration of an 18ft TX-built molded plywood "woodie", a pair of 35HP Johnson OB & the period trailer. = I'll do this rig because I've wanted one these NICE boats since I was in High School nearly a HALF CENTURY ago.
(Once the hand-sanding, re-staining/re-varnishing, the new upholstery is done, the trailer is restored and the 2 OBs are rebuilt/refinished, I wouldn't be able to recover my "fixed costs" IF I was willing to sell the rig. - Fwiw, my adult daughter can deal with that "problem" after I "assume room temperature".)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95401

• madbohunk
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks guys for the info, there looking for best offer, i plan on looking at it the weekend ,as its about 4hrs away . really don't need another project, but peaks my interest!!! its a 1957. it has an old evinrude 25 hp lower unit needs work. but that no big deal. i love the fins, there just cool, passed on a 59 redfish that needed lots ,an lots of work . so maybe this is in better shape . time will tell!!!!! madbohunk safe boating

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95404

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Satx nailed it...Vintage boats are restored by two kinds of people: those who do it for love and those who enjoy pain, suffering, frustration and self-inflicted poverty. Then again, there are those like me who seem to fit into both categories. It has been my experience that if you add the initial cost of the boat, the parts, material and various expenditures, you reach an amount of money that is roughly three times what you expected. Now, add in your labor at $1.00 per hour. The resulting grand total will be less than HALF what you can sell the finished boat for.

That poses the question, "Why not buy a boat already finished?" Answer: "It's the journey, not the destination." Any idiot can buy a finished boat but it takes a special kind of idiot to restore one. We "special people" are constantly on the lookout for the next "formerly floating hard luck case" that needs to be rescued.

Yes, that's it...I'm a maritime conservationist. It's sounds much more cerebral than "the dumb ass down the street that works on those junk boats."

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95416

Nautilus,

"I'm a marine conservationist. It sounds much more cerebral than
".
(I confess that I read that and then LOL. = That sounds so much more "worthwhile" than, "old boat NUT". Further, that gives me a "comeback" to those who say, "WHY did you drag that 'piece of trash' home?")

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95417

Any idiot can buy a finished boat but it takes a special kind of idiot to restore one.
I KNEW I WAS SPECIAL !!!! :P

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95419

• madbohunk
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Stax, marine conservationis ,yes thats what i am also, just have to convince the wife thats what i am !!! i did talk to the gentleman this morning about the boat. doesn't know what he has, was on the water last year till the lower unit went out. I'll go look it over , make an offer ,and tell him what it is . jetfilght ( hows the catalina coming along ) thanks for the info also , i think its a 58. madbohunk safe boating

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95422

Nautilus wrote:

It has been my experience that if you add the initial cost of the boat, the parts, material and various expenditures, you reach an amount of money that is roughly three times what you expected. Now, add in your labor at $1.00 per hour. The resulting grand total will be less than HALF what you can sell the finished boat for.

Shouldn't that be twice what you can sell it for?

Or you can sell the boat for half that amount?

Special kind of idiot, yeah, my Admiral is going to LOVE that :S

Otherwise I agree w/ pretty much everything else that's been said up to this point..... I buy CHEAP & would still have trouble recouping the fixed costs & would still get nothing for my labor........

And I don't do anywhere nearly as nice of work as Nautilus does. He's posted many an incredible project.

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95424

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes, but you had all the fun of sanding for long hours, breathing every imaginable fume, and straining muscles man handling all the parts.

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95427

MY mama always said I was special!! That was why I got to ride the short bus. Like my wife says, "that explains a lot"!!! At least the fumes are cheaper than beer, like that really matters.
Bill

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95438

A question that can only be answered by who ever buys it. You seldom get out of it more than you put in. If you entered this Hobby to make $$$$$$$$ you may be in trouble. Most of us do it because we love our boats. But you never know you might find a few people racing to buy it. The world can be unpredictable. Keep an eye on it.
Attachments:

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95441

I'm the dumb ass up the street fixing the junk boats!
I did get offered $6k for my crownline tho, but when you're the thrid generation to own it, you have to let the fourth crash it into a sandbar before you even think of selling!!

1967 Crownline-for the river
1960 Whitehouse-for the lake
1963 Starcraft-for fishing

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95443

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
bill d. you got to ride the short bus, but I got to go to special school. lol frog

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95453

Madbohunk the Dorsett is still sitting in my fathers yard looking the same way I bought it. I am trying to sell the house and a junk boat half tor apart does not add to the curb appeal, so as soon as the house is sold and we're moved to the new place ( where ever that is) all projects have stopped for this summer :(

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95458

yep, that's a neat boat and I agree its worth whatever you are willing to pay, or the seller is willing to take. could be thousands or you could be paid to haul it away, all up to the buyer and seller

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95462

coolbri70,

My very BEST "old boating deal" was the afternoon (I was doing remodeling contracting then.) when a lady PAID ME 75 bucks cash to haul off 4 OB motors, one of which was a Mercury MK800 "one-armed bandit" that ran great once I drained/cleaned the "jelly" out of the gas-tank, poured in 5 gallons of clean fuel & charged a battery.
(Sold the MK 800 & tank the next AM for 250.oo and both buyer/seller were pleased. - We put together 2 good-running 40HP Evinrudes out of the other 3 "junkers" & ran one of those for 5-6 years without spending a dime on it except for fuel.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95465

satx,

I have found that patience waiting for opportunity and knowing when to jump in can save you serious $$ when it comes to old boats and motors. I cant begin to tell how many times I have seen an old boat that needs work, but has a good motor and trailer, priced at a 3rd of what the motor or trailer alone would go for. I would have a yard full if the admiral would let me

sincerely, coolbri70

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95496

Hey I got $250 and a nice hunting rifle out of my 58 MFG that was far from factory. We were both happy since I wanted the rifle and he wanted the boat. That included no motor. I have rifles galore but all are getting very old and in excellent shape. None are drilled for a scope but my Model 88 Winchester that is also worth a few bucks. This is older but drilled for a scope and shoots excellent. It's a 30-30 Marlin. Gun shop guy said it was worth in the range of $400-450. I wanted $600 for the boat and trailer.
Attachments:

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95502

coolbri70,

TRUE FACT.

Right now, I know of a dozen or more rigs around SA & Austin that are FREE or nearly so.

I've been "toying with" gathering up a flock of FREE old (but NOT worth restoring) 14-16 ft. glass runabouts that have solid hulls, stripping them for "recyclable parts", selling the "recyclables"/trailers/OB motors AND then bolting pairs of hulls together (transom to transom AND to the houseboat's framework) and using several pairs for floatation for a BIG (10x30M) HOUSE-boat (with 3 staterooms & 2 heads) that I've designed as a retirement home. = 8 PAIRS of "double-boats" should hold up most anything that we might ever have aboard.
(I suspect that selling all that "boating stuff" would cut my "construction costs" quite a bit.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95503

• madbohunk
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Satx, as a fellow marine conservationist, i feel the need to help you "grther up the flock". I'll tell the wife its for the good of the "cause" !!!! I'm sure she'll understand!!! madbohunk safe boating

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95508

yes, if ever I fall into major money, be it lottery, inheritance, better job etc. I have warned the wife there will be a large barn with old boats hanging from the rafters, because if I didn't have to work and had the space, I would restore boats like that one all the time

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95528

I've been "toying with" gathering up a flock of FREE old (but NOT worth restoring) 14-16 ft. glass runabouts that have solid hulls, stripping them for "recyclable parts", selling the "recyclables"/trailers/OB motors AND then bolting pairs of hulls together (transom to transom AND to the houseboat's framework) and using several pairs for floatation for a BIG (10x30M) HOUSE-boat (with 3 staterooms & 2 heads) that I've designed as a retirement home. = 8 PAIRS of "double-boats" should hold up most anything that we might ever have aboard.
(I suspect that selling all that "boating stuff" would cut my "construction costs" quite a bit.)

Ok satx I`ve got your first donor boat. 1965 Lone Star Chrysler Skipper 16ft aluminum. If your interested give me an email and we`ll see about getting together. I`m probably going to be at the fall meet of AOMCI in Kingsland. Oh yeah, how are your going to title this rig.
Are you going to deck and seal the open top of the hulls??

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95546

madbohunk,

Inasmuch as I'm in south TX & you're in NE, I don't think that your lady will "buy into that" FICTION. = CHUCKLE.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:What is it and whats is worth? 10 years 4 months ago #95547

frogman,

SOUNDS FINE.

To briefly answer your questions:
1. The planned MV FOREVER PRINCESS will be titled as a "Home-built" watercraft.
2. She will be titled by TP&WD and "documented by" the USCG.
(Fyi, the USCG are VERY COURTEOUS & HELPFUL to home-builders of house-boats & other similar craft that have "marine heads" & permanent sleeping quarters.)
2. The "paired hulls" will be "buried under" the house portion of the boat.
and
4. She will be powered by a Mercedes 300 series, 5-cylinder, diesel engine (from a low-mileage but "totaled" 1983 Mercedes 300SD), driving a hydraulic marine transmission/reduction gear (with reverse), into a traditional IB installation. = Houseboats are NOT allowed in TX saltwater/tidal areas with outboard power.
(The IB motor will be cooled by a "home-brew", "closed system", keel cooler, made of copper pipe.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle