Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boat tends to roll

Boat tends to roll 10 years 4 months ago #95100

Ok I have a 1968 glastron crestflight with a 125 merc. low speeds fine but then It tends to dig into the water and make the boat roll on its side.What am I doing wrong? It is very dangerous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Boat tends to roll 10 years 4 months ago #95102

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Does it always roll to the same side? (Weight distribution off?) That's a 17' (V-170) right? Trim angle on motor?

Mark

Re:Boat tends to roll 10 years 4 months ago #95112

get us some pics, I had a boat do this before.

Re:Boat tends to roll 10 years 4 months ago #95137

From your description it sounds like the motor needs to be trimmed out one trim adjustment hole or two or even three. When the motor it trimmed in to tight it makes the bow dig in. Suggest trimming out one trim adjustment hole and see what happens. If you still find that it isn't quite right bring it out one more hole. My 50 HP mercury has six trim adjustment positions. In addition you would most likely pickup 2-4 MPH.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

Re:Boat tends to roll 10 years 4 months ago #95192

I agree with Greg. If I am too slow on the button for the power trim on mine, it tends to do the same thing. I hope it is that simple for you.
Bill

Re:Boat tends to roll 10 years 4 months ago #95358

I have powertrim on the motor and I think you guys are right on the trim. outboards are new to me. I am an I/o guy.i am unsure of how far to trim it out. I am not going very far out with it because I don't want to over rev it. its a new rebuild and it makes me too nervous to take the chance. I will run it tomarro and see how it handles when I bring it up more

Re:Boat tends to roll 10 years 4 months ago #95398

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
On some of the boats I've driven, trim up until the torque on the steering wheel suddenly goes away. This can be unnerving for some, as it feels like the steering is "unhooked". This is what you want. With no power steering, you feel the engine's torque against the wheel until the trim is properly set. If trim does not reduce or eliminate this torque, an adjustment of the engine's tab may be needed.

Re:Boat tends to roll 10 years 4 months ago #95485

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I've noticed that on my MFG that has power trim. It would be hard to steer than all of a sudden be easy. I would trim it there just to be lazy and not fight the steering. Good to know that is how it should be trimmed.

On the other had, with hydraulic steering, how can you tell?

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:Boat tends to roll 10 years 4 months ago #95530

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Generally, hydraulic steering is used on boats with big motors (V-6) running with high transom mounts and/or jackplates (FAST boats!!) These will always have dual cable, hydraulic, or beefy cable and pulley steering. Steering torque from high mounting and monster pitch props is substantial. Not many Glassics with hydraulic steering, but if one did, a trim gauge and a bit of experimenting (more boat time, wink wink) would find the sweet spot, and a small dab of paint on the gauge makes repeating the setting every time easier.

Re:Boat tends to roll 10 years 4 months ago #95533

It was the trim. once I brought it up a ways I was able to wind it out a min and it rode nice. I was only able to get 38 out of it which seems a little slow for a 800 lb boat with a newly rebuilt 125 on it with a new 13 x 19 aluminum prop on it. my new tach quit working so I do not know my rpms right now but it does not feel like it is hitting the right rpm range. I am going to the spring dust off at silver lake this weekend and have tim c ( he built it ) take a look at it and see what he thinks. I think if I trim it up a little more I would get better top end out of it. I just don't want to burn it up. I really don't mind 40 in it because it is small enough that 40 feels pretty good but there were also 1.5 to 2 ft waves on the water last night

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online