• Page:

TOPIC: Force motors

Force motors 10 years 4 months ago #95039

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Local auction yard has a worn out throwaway 16 foot boat on a good trailer that I could use. The boat sits on a decent Trail-Rite trailer and has a Force 85 motor. Boat has some decent hardware on it but interior, hull and gel coat are a mess. Doesn't look like it could be test run before bidding.

Wondering about the Force 85. I couldn't see the manufacturers tag, but it's a 3 cyl, Power tilt model. Boat and trailer are Circa 1983-85. Motor looks ok externally, and the powerhead and wiring have not been messed with.

I did a forum search but didn't turn up much on the Force motors. Any opinions?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Force motors 10 years 4 months ago #95040

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Thats one the early Force badged Chrysler motors. They were pretty stout, easy to wrench motors. And I hear little if any "known" problems them.
Later when it all became US Marine/Bayliner, and the later black motors, did have some problems. But I don't care what any says or bash them, but I STILL have my 25 year old 20 foot Bayliner Capri Cuddy, 125 Force. Runs in salt too. And still runs fine. Just needed a "known problem" stator/ING system upgrade to Mercury. Ya get a decent price for it, go for it.

And IBoats has a great forum on Force/Chrysler, and some smart guys there too on Force motors.

Re:Force motors 10 years 4 months ago #95047

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I know a few people who have them , and they seem happy with them. I like the looks of them as well. go fo it. greg

Re:Force motors 10 years 4 months ago #95050

Chrysler was around for many years before they where forced to sell during one of their many bankruptcy problems. loose battery connections will fri their ign. modules, other than that they run good for the money, as with any outboard its all about maintenance. good oil& fuel,gear lube, waterpump,etc.

Re:Force motors 10 years 4 months ago #95063

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks guys. Looking at the wiring label in 2nd photo, looks like maybe it's a straight magneto motor, no module to act up?

Auction is on 6/7, I may put a few bucks in my pocket and go there "just to watch" of course :lol:

My main interest is the Trail Rite trailer. I had one under my 86 Galaxie and it was a real stout trailer. A decent motor would just sweeten the deal.

Re:Force motors 10 years 4 months ago #95067

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Normspeed wrote:

Thanks guys. Looking at the wiring label in 2nd photo, looks like maybe it's a straight magneto motor, no module to act up?

That's just a generic sticker, that model should have a CDI-type ignition. They're not too bad, I've done a few stators and the occasional switchbox, but parts are still readily available and the system doesn't seem inherently unreliable.

HTH........ed

Re:Force motors 10 years 4 months ago #95087

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Ed. Although the motor looks OK cosmetically, I notice the tilt pump has a number of nicks in the case, as though someone kept a hammer handy, to give it a clout when it acted up. That, coupled with the web strap holding the motor in tilt position, isn't a real good sign. But if parts are still out there...
Attachments:

Re:Force motors 10 years 4 months ago #95107

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, that could be a HUGE..(maybe) problem. I have the same T and T unit on my Force. I think, as would need more pix it. Nice when working properly. Its all in one. One the long rams is a shock absorber, the other tilt. As it comes down it goes to the slower middle fat cylinder for trim.
OK, when I bought my boat used, it was in the shop just having had the pump repaired.I didn't think or know much about it, so didn't care. Boy, have I learned a LOT since then. (Funny too, as getting mine ready for summer this week, I had no tilt up, just down. Dash switch OK, then switched the relays. Now up, no down, so new relays coming soon.)

But if its just the motor that need whacking to run, that can be checked, and they are (maybe) available. But TRUST me, if its in the pump body and a problem? Even experienced wrench's won't mess with it. Its so convoluted its a nightmare of springs, washers, check balls, UUUGGGHH! If you can find a good used one, VERY expensive. That strap holding it up is a very bad sign to me as something aint right. At the least, its not holding pressure and ..well...I might think taking a pass on this might be in order. But ya could get lucky too...its a simple gamble. Hers some pix the body..
Attachments:

Re:Force motors 10 years 4 months ago #95113

I just saw one of these on ebay for 50.00 nos.....

Re:Force motors 10 years 4 months ago #95128

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentPonyboy wrote:

I just saw one of these on ebay for 50.00 nos.....

Show me the link...not doubting you, but unheard of me a NOS price the pump like that. And like said.."if you can find one F/S." I searched ebay, and came up with zip but what brought up. Link..

PLEASE, when ANY ya comment without a link or back up real life experience...its useless info for anybody.....link..

Re:Force motors 10 years 3 months ago #96311

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I decided to pass on the auction. Too many old toys at my place waiting for TLC. Plus before long I hope to have some parts for my Merc 650 that might get her back in decent shape. (Thanks to Tall Texan) So, instead of auctioning, I took 6 days to go camping and fishing. Visited 4 lakes, got some nice trout and also some Tiger Musky, a first for me. Two good things about Tiger Musky, they're always hungry, and they're not too bright...I released them all.

Re:Force motors 10 years 3 months ago #96321

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Way to go Norm, looks like you made the right call!

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle