• Page:

TOPIC: Spun impeller story coming..

Spun impeller story coming.. 10 years 4 months ago #94748

• Robby321
  • Robby321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Friend mine here..(Thom..its Ted with the Dorsett) Well 2 years ago in spring after a new motor in his 22 foot 350/Mercrusier Searay. Well he hit a unseen floater log, and got towed in with the outdrive hanging on by one ram, and the cables. Fixed the OD..(not damaged, but gone through, and fresh eveything, rest junk). Well 2 years later? He was just out and motor over heating...(Always scan the gauges!). Slowly back to the dock us. Long to short here...heres pix the impellar.(in the gear case it) Look the second pic! Squeeze 2 blades, and a "see through" daylight? What was used for "glue"..
KY Jelly? Looking at this crap, makes me wanna getting a new impeller, and pry it apart and GLUE the damn think PROPER! Damn joke.

pic to big..more later after a resize..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Spun impeller story coming.. 10 years 4 months ago #94768

Factory parts or replacements from the " flung de dung " marine company ?

Re:Spun impeller story coming.. 10 years 4 months ago #94776

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Who knows. Work done at a reputable Merc dealer. I put the pix in a wrong file, and can't resize but trust me, its like a loose press fit on the brass hub.

Re:Spun impeller story coming.. 10 years 4 months ago #94779

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Lets put it this way. The new stuff in junk..period. I've pulled apart L/Us from motors that probably never had a new impeller, and talking 50's/60's too. Damn. I got 2 50's 3hp "J/Rudes, that still look like the impeller was new, and when fired in a bucket, theres a side screw under the side the block that ya unscrew for checking function on getting water. Unscrew that SOB, and ya gotta shut the motor off to get it back, water pressure!

Anyway, for any interested, heres whats on the rubber.
P/N 47-89984-4
Another is CAV.NO-8
And a clock like symbol..(no numbers, just dashes) with a "10" in the middle.

Re:Spun impeller story coming.. 10 years 4 months ago #94810

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
That's an OEM impeller, not aftermarket. Maybe they had a bad bunch of impellers where the rubber de-bonded from the metal center. That's supposed to be a permanent hot-bond, not ever to separate.

I wonder if all the additives in ethanol-blended fuel (like toluene) are attacking the rubber.

Can't recall Merc's warranty on impellers but it's probably limited to one year.

I'd be tempted to take the impeller back to the dealer and see if they'd do anything about it. Nothing to lose, anyway.

Sierra Marine had a bad run of Johnrude 40hp impellers back in the 80's, but I can't recall any other failures. I've used lots of Merc and Sierra replacements for the 4 & 6-cyl inlines (same P/N as the Mercruiser impeller), and have never had one of those fail in that manner.

Go Figure, eh??

Re:Spun impeller story coming.. 10 years 4 months ago #94838

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ed, I have no idea why hearing more and more spun impeller stories. Anyway, work done by a retired merc mechanic who works out his house now, south me and Thom. Similar set up like Thoms shop. Knows his stuff. I never met him, but he is reliable. Had the boat ready fast, and its ready to go back in the slip. Again, its not my boat, but yakked with the owner yesterday.

All I can guess is a bad batch that snuck past Q/C. Who knows. Guess just one more thing to keep in mind, and watch the gauges, telltale, whatever. I would hate to hear a horror story of toasting a motor because of something so simple. Life goes on...gotta pay attention I guess!

Pix are on S+F, link..second pic says it all. I realize its been spun and probably why so loose now, but stuff like this should not happen.

www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?291462-Spun-impeller-story-coming-Friend-mine-here-Well-2-years-ago-in-spring-after-a-new-m

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online