Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: ANYBODY HAVE AN "ARTILLERY-STYLE" TRAILER PLAN????

ANYBODY HAVE AN "ARTILLERY-STYLE" TRAILER PLAN???? 10 years 4 months ago #94641

Friends,

As some of you know, I am soon to be "in receipt of" a early 1960s LONE STAR 16 foot KING COMMANDER 16, an open fisherman, (from one of our forum's GREAT GUYS, who knows that I like TEXAS-made boats) that I will be able to pull with my treasured Mercedes 300SDL (148 brake HP) sedan, provided that I can find/build a suitable LIGHT trailer for the TINNY.
(MY "new to me" 18HP FDE-12 Johnson OB, that I found in an SATX estate sale, will be repaired to power it.)

As I've now looked carefully for 2 weeks, without success, I'm thinking of building an "artillery trailer" and am looking for a suitable plan for an under 200# trailer.

Also, to those who heard of my "misfortune" in that the 300SDL was damaged in the rear while parked at my place (by a "hit & run" creep), the car is now "patched up", so that it is at least drivable, until Mr. Castro can do the BIG job of sanding to bare metal, re-prime & repaint of the whole car.
(Mr. Castro will also replace the windshield & driver's side glasses, that were vandalized by a different moron. = SEVERAL cars in this are of the city have been severely damaged by vandals in the last few weeks. = In one case, State farm Insurance has "totaled out" a 2012 Buick that was "worked over" by what looks like a sledge-hammer in the hands of a HATER.)

IF you are reading this & have a suitable plan for a LIGHT but STRONG trailer, please advise me by email.

yours, satx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:ANYBODY HAVE AN "ARTILLERY-STYLE" TRAILER PLAN???? 10 years 4 months ago #94653

I have a Yellow Jacket sitting on a Husky trailer

I plan on copying it to build a few more...I have a few Yellow Jacket That need trailers You seen them

CAVU

Re:ANYBODY HAVE AN "ARTILLERY-STYLE" TRAILER PLAN???? 10 years 4 months ago #94655

TallTexan,

YEP, I know that you have several such "trailer-less" YJs but I thought (PERHAPS or even PROBABLY incorrectly) that those trailers have "proprietory parts", like the spring systems.

Am I wrong about that???

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:ANYBODY HAVE AN "ARTILLERY-STYLE" TRAILER PLAN???? 10 years 4 months ago #94660

Coil Springs liked used on 60s Chevys and wheels with hubs can be bought at Northern Tools

CAVU

Re:ANYBODY HAVE AN "ARTILLERY-STYLE" TRAILER PLAN???? 10 years 4 months ago #94665

TallTexan,

OK.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:ANYBODY HAVE AN "ARTILLERY-STYLE" TRAILER PLAN???? 10 years 4 months ago #94685

most "farm stores" tractor supply, orchliens (sp) and maybe harbor freight have complete axils and leaf springs....I think a little pricey though...I've seen some really light tee nees under some old lummies....we pulled a lot of 15ft fiberglass (red fish, 59 lake n sea) with a 2004 Toyota corolla 4cyl 5 speed...would do freeway fine but wouldn't launch them John

Re:ANYBODY HAVE AN "ARTILLERY-STYLE" TRAILER PLAN???? 10 years 4 months ago #94742

The reason for the artillery style trailer under a boat was

(a) High center that would not drag if the wheels sunk into the mud (as an axle will do) when launching from a bank.

(b) bearings were in the hub and if something did go out you just had to replace the hub along with a 3/4 inch bolt. Most kept a spare tire hub and bearing as a spare tire "kit"; and many kept a spare bolt and nut (and a small can of grease) for on the roadside fix (been there and done that with my father and his Yellow Jacket at about the age of 6)

(C) the weight was a bit lighter ....not much but some.

CAVU

Re:ANYBODY HAVE AN "ARTILLERY-STYLE" TRAILER PLAN???? 10 years 4 months ago #94754

I have a Load King trailer with the coil springs and bearings in the rim. I did convert mine to more available parts. It is very hard today to find a high speed rim with the bearings in the rim. But as mentioned before Northern Tool here in Minnesota does have such a rim. The rim is mostly used on there pull down the road log splitters. Now there is a bit of a problem if you want to use those rims on your trailer. The axel size for the new rim is one inch. The axel size on the your trailer is three quarters. What I did was have a shop make me a one inch bushing with a three quarters center for the original axel bolt.
Now something I never researched is it possible to change the bearings in the rim down from one inch to fit a 3/4 axel. Never got that far just another path to,try.
I think I have some pictures of what I did on my other PC if you might need them.

D

Re:ANYBODY HAVE AN "ARTILLERY-STYLE" TRAILER PLAN???? 10 years 4 months ago #94777

3/4 to 1" shaft bushings can be bought at Grainger. They have a slot in them however the race is not to turn on the shaft so it does not hurt ...put the slot up

As You could have drill the bolt holes larger and had a new nut welded to the plate.

I am going to build the trailers that I need with 1" not only because that is what Northern Tools has but because of the extra weight and pounding it will take.

I did buy a 3/4 inch a while back from the$e guy$
www.easternmarine.com/8-Fixed-Hub-Integral-Tire-Rim/

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle