Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Evinrude Stareflite 100S question

Evinrude Stareflite 100S question 10 years 4 months ago #94499

Hi Guys,

I think this is my first post on this site, although I joined about two years ago.

A while back I bought a 1966 Fabuglas Sea Gull from another Fiberglassics member. It is my first boat, and I was really excited to get something with character and some versatility. Everything worked fine for the first couple times we took it out, then all of a sudden the motor wouldn't fire. It wasn't the dead starter click, actually it just sounded awful. A LONG trolling motor powered trip back to shore with an angry pregnant wife then took place and I haven't take it back out since August of 2012. It's been a sore topic since then.

I took the starter out and found the bendix was good, but the armature gears were stripped out. Probably something I did, but at any rate I need to get a new starter. The old starter did not make a move between states for some reason, but I need a model number and to know which way the starter needs to spin. Thanks guys, for any help you might be able to provide!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Evinrude Stareflite 100S question 10 years 4 months ago #94501

Look up your engine at MarineEngine.com

You need the model # & year of your motor. The year can be found online if you don't know it. There should be a tag on the motor that gives you the model #.

MarineEngine may sell the starter, but even if they do, you might find it cheaper elsewhere, so look around using google.

Don't assume the motor is a 1966 just because the boat is, look it up to confirm.

There are parts diagrams @MarineEngine that are helpful, and I've used them instead of buying a parts manual for each engine. If I find an copy for sale online (usually ebay) priced reasonably, I often buy it so I'll have it on hand when I want to look something up.

Find a service manual for your motor, you will want 1.

Re:Evinrude Stareflite 100S question 10 years 4 months ago #94502

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
jcburt nailed it, basically what i was going to say and then some......
goodluck with the wife, as for the boat, no luck needed you'll get her going. ;)

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Evinrude Stareflite 100S question 10 years 4 months ago #94526

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard JS, glad to have you join us! Does your starter have the part number stamped into it, like maybe MGD4001?
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Evinrude Stareflite 100S question 10 years 4 months ago #94527

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Here you go JS. Should work.I think the v-4s with electric shift took the same starter and bendix from 62 to 68. I know some were Delco-Remy,some were Autolite,but they all should bolt up.

Re:Evinrude Stareflite 100S question 10 years 4 months ago #94624

Thanks guys,

I am pretty positive on the outboard age, although I will confirm it.

Unfortunately I no longer have the old starter - I have the Bendix gear reduction piece, but not the outer case. I do however have the armature / gearhead in the box-o-parts.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting it up and running, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thanks again for your help, I'll post with progress!

Re:Evinrude Stareflite 100S question 10 years 4 months ago #94627

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Want to understand. You have the internals of this piece,but not the shell?

Re:Evinrude Stareflite 100S question 10 years 4 months ago #94628

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentThe ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentHere's a couple of eBay queries with results that might help you find the parts you need:

Just be sure to check the parts # at www.marineengine.com (as previously mentioned).

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php

BTW, be sure to check out the bronze bushing that's pressed into the starter bracket which is part of the block.

If that bushing is worn, it'll cause problems with the starter operation and can even lead to stripped drive teeth, such as what happened to your motor.

HTH.........ed

Re: Evinrude Stareflite 100S question 10 years 4 months ago #94640

JStaldine,

WELCOME ABOARD. = GOOD LUCK with your better half AND your "new to you" rig.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Evinrude Stareflite 100S question 10 years 4 months ago #94818

JStaldine,

You must replace the entire starter assembly, not just the motor. The intermediate gear will surely have been damaged by the failure of the armature gear. Even if the gear looks OK to the eye, it is damaged and will ruin a good starter motor.

If you haven't located a starter, I have a number of good working ones available. This would be a completer starter assembly (motor and drive unit) for $75.00 shipped to you via US Priority mail. The starters I have are used, good working units. It will have been greased/ oiled with proper lubricants so it is ready for use.

You can PM me if any interest.

Bruce
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online