Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat

Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94392

link to my 1,200 words for the current issue... lnkd.in/d6ca6Yu . It is about a multiple award winning fiberglass outboard powered classic that was made on the Chesapeake Bay.
The topic has been locked.

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94393

Much has been said about fiberglass classics and outboard powered classics within the ACBS on this board. I would like to point out that the ACBS is made up of about 56 chapters that are about 56 individual clubs. They do get what might be called "Best Practices" suggestions from the International parent, but not hard rules.

Several of the 56 clubs aline/belong as the insurance coverage for authorized events is outstanding from International, if one can call any insurance, outstanding.

Finally, I have been a member of this Chesapeake Bay Chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society since 2004. When I went to my first Show put on by them, there were awards and acceptance for fiberglass boats and for outboard powered boats then at that event.

The boat I wrote about above has won CBC-ACBS awards. If one were to attend one of this chapter's June Shows in St. Michaels... well, to be honest you would wonder why is anyone talking trash about treatment to them and their boat.

This chapter has had that mind-set towards all classics; wood, fiberglass, and metal for at least 10 years before 2004, maybe even further back in time. And the same openness towards inboards, outboards, jets, surface drives, and human-power.

Please come to out show this June13 and 14th, please bring your boat, and please have fun with your classic.

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94396

Very good article Chris and a beautiful boat too.

Thanks,
Terry

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94406

Yes, but according to a board posting AFTER I posted this, the board was told , that outboard powered Fiberglass boat did not win the awards I said in my article. Gosh, I was there. I have a photo.

It is a losing argument, there are folks on the board that blast CBC-ACBS and I guess, they will go to their grave saying that if you have an outboard or a fiberglass boat... CBC-ACBS does not want you.

"... There are just way too many old outboard boats out there to ignore, and it's often a much less expensive route into the hobby when compared to other craft. In my opinion, old outboard boats are great looking and have a lot of wonderful history to tell. Heck, instead of hiding the motor under a wood box, an outboard hangs off the transom, easy for all to see, and has its own unique styling story to tell as well."

As I said above this is not a true statement for CBC-ACBS since 1994.

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94407

BTW, it is a good way to encourage and paint a picture that fiberglass and outboard boat owners should not to come to CBS-ACBS Shows.

Well, believe what you want, here is an award winning fiberglass outboard powered boat that. Just read what is written in the first link.

Or, follow someone who wants to knock something for some other reason than matching facts.

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94442

The facts speak for themselves in the Awards given to this boat written about in the article. The Boat is 1) fiberglass boat and 2) it is an outboard powered boat and 3) it received awards.

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94456

OK, I'll make sure that some 56 clubs will shut down their shows for a year, based on davnau6345 advice that on non-wood and outboard boats mistreament in the awards.

Of course, this is a fiberglass outboard boat and it won awards ( past tense)if you read the link in the opening post.

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94474

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
S.B., Chris : 1) CONGRATS on getting a article written / published in the magazine... I believe FiberGlassics forum had that same red Sedan chatter last year on the quality of restoration.

I was able to enlarge the mag link & read the article.. As I am in Tennessee & had taken prior year photo of that red Dorsett at our Knoxville AOMCI meets.
2) Do you have any prior BOAT history of this Dorsett.. WHO did the paint restoration..? Was the boat featured in the past with Peter Hunn book "TailFins & Two tones" ? I keep seeing a TN
bow reg # on the boat & your article keeps talking about a Local Owner. ? Maybe the girl is just borrow her fathers boat who lives here .?

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94493

The lady is an adult lawyer. Not her Dad's boat as far as I know. I expect the boat, dog, and the owner will be at the St. Michaeals June Show to talk to folks that have an interest in her hobby of classic boating.

BTW, she trailered the boat down to Lake Dora in Florida for their show in the past. At both shows she put her boat in the water and took a cruise. She was the only person onboard when I took a photo of her handling her boat in very high winds on the last day of that show. In other words, She "skippers" her boat herself.

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94495

Folks that believe that all 56 chapters of the ACBS are one club and then say they are all wrong for outboard and /or fiberglass boats simply STOP attendance or the very boats that I and others spend years trying to get to our shows.

Someone says these ACBS folks are all black hat guys and no one should play boats with them.

Well, let the truth win.

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94539

I object to a locked thread. Delete the entire stream would be better to be fair to all sides of an issue.

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94541

Seabuddy,
I was about to post this before the thread was locked. If you continue the negative posting this one will probably be locked too.
Seabuddy,
Your last post exemplifies why many non-wood classic outboard boat owners do not embrace the ACBS.
Your post exudes the “I’m better than you because” attitude, in this case used to belittle a person because of the number of boat shows he has attended.
davenau6345 and others have posted thoughtful and helpful discussion on recent potential changes to the ACBS judging standards in this thread.
You, on the other hand, have completely misinterpreted what has been posted and are trying to invalidate others opinions because of their experience level.
That is not helpful to increasing the number of non-wood outboard boats at ACBS shows.
I appreciate all the interesting and informative posts you added to the board in the past, and I encourage you to return to more positive posting.

Don

Re:Award Winning Fiberglass Outboard boat 10 years 4 months ago #94545

Chris, Repeated negative postings will get your threads locked, and eventually you will be blocked from posting on the forums.

Please do try to keep your posts more positive in the future.

I'm sorry, I've been following you threads, and I don't see where anyone is saying people shouldn't go to ACBS shows.

ACBS national, under the leadership of Peter Stephens, is trying to move the organization forward. As I'm sure you know, any organization that fails to change and listen to their membership, is bound to fail. Encouraging participation of fiberglass boat owners in the ACBS shows is only one part of the "best practices" being proposed by Peter Stephens and ACBS national, and the new judging guidelines are just one part of that initiative.

Please feel free to call me if you would like to discuss further.

Dave Albertson, 716-602-8344.
Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)