• Page:

TOPIC: restorer's thoughts??

restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94275

• Shake
  • Shake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I have been contemplating using composite deck boards to replace 1"x Stringers in my Dorsetts. I would completely encapsulate them in fiberglass. Any thoughts?

www.menards.com/main/deckestimator/deckestimatorstairtread/10-ultradeck-rustic-solid-composite-decking/p-1938359-c-13471.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94279

Joe the thought has crossed my mind to use some thing like composite to replace the stringers, but I have never done it. I have used douglas fir which has a little bit of rot resistance. I have also just used standard pine fir for the stringers. My thought is the originals were pine and when I got the boat it had been abandoned, unloved and neglected for 20 years or more and I do not plan on doing that to all my hard work. So regular wood which was used in the first place, is just fine for me. If you are truly worried that your work will not last as long as you have the boat, I suggest making your own stringers out of fiberglass like the Glasspar boats did. They look fairly simple and seem to work just fine, and have held up well over the last 48years. But I can tell you when I restore my Dorsett I will be using select pine 1x6's (because they are knot free) for my stringers.

Re:restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94281

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thank you Byron, Glaspar really went above and beyond from the get go when it comes to fiberglass boats. Also thank you on your advice on using select pine, I may also do the same....

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94285

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Since you asked...

I used to be a custom deck builder here on the lake. I used treated 5/4 x 6 lumber exclusively. The reason for that is that decks that had been build a few years before using the composite decking, commonly referred to in the industry as "Trex," had real problems. Even screwed-down 16" on center, the planks sagged between joists making the deck look like a roller coaster.

Stringers are the main structural component of your decking; they support everything. On an inboard boat, that includes about 1,000 lbs of engine and transmission. I wouldn't consider using a product that has proven to sag after a few years.

I use white oak or mahogany for stringers...one long 1-1/2" piece, stern to bow. I'm not sure if "Trex" comes in 1-1/2" pieces but even if it did, I wouldn't use it. All things considered, after the project is finished, the cost between oak and "Trex" is not enough money to be concerned about.

Sure it might work...for awhile or maybe for a long while but the uncertainty is enough to make me reject the idea. I restrict my gambling to the "sure thing."

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94287

I think Nautilus hit the nail on the head. When you stop and think about all of the labor involved, the cost difference (savings)is really miniscule. I have done many projects and seen a lot of ill advised repairs/restorations that have had failures due to poor choice of materials or materials that were used in the manner in which they were not engineered to be effective. I often think back at how much use, care or lack thereof that these boats have had in their lifetime. Rebuilding/restoring with materials that were similar to what they were originally used will most likely last you for your lifetime. I enjoy seeing and learning from others on this site and some other boat sites regarding building projects.

Re:restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94289

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thank you Nautilus and Hornet, very great insight. Composite decking now officially out of the equation.

Re:restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94317

Another reason not to use it resin probably wont stick to it .

Re:restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94321

That is what I was going to say. I thought about replaceing some of my original wood with it. After looking at some samples of cut off ends I decided they would be to slippery for that purpose. :unsure:
Attachments:

Re:restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94420

Hi all, new member from just outside Denver. Love this site and all the help available for fiber glass boat lovers.

I like the idea of white oak, it is a very hard wood and if sanded, stained and varnished they will last for decades IMHO.

Re:restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94421

Welcome aboard torq24fun

Re:restorer's thoughts?? 10 years 4 months ago #94423

torq24fun,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle