Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Dorsett catalina

1959 Dorsett catalina 10 years 4 months ago #94127

Well I finally did it I was able to break into the 50's with this 1959 dorsett, I am very excited to get this one on the water someday! The guy I bought it from had intentions of restoring it but did not have the time or money to do so, so he was very happy to have sold it me knowing I would actually get around to finishing her. The guy he got it from used the boat for scuba diving, that's why the aluminum angles are on the back of transom. The boats shell is in relatively good shape with a couple of spots that have some crazing, but nothing serious. I also got the bimini top with it and it looks to be in pretty good shape, that was a nice bonus :)

Most of the work will be done on the interior the list goes as follows

-Patch a hole in the keel made by the trailer
-new stringers
-new floor
-new transom
-new seats
-new bulk head
-new head liner
-and any thing else I find along the way

I will post in the members projects section when I actually start working on the boat.
Another nice bonus is the PO had upgraded all the switches and gauges, I know those aren't cheap, but still has the original steering wheel very cool!
The hole in the keel
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Dorsett catalina 10 years 4 months ago #94128

Congrats again , always feels better when it hooked to your truck!! good luck with the redo,i'm sure it truned heads on the way home . lookes great. post pictures as i'm going to start the redo on my 59 catalina this fall, i can try to help with measurement if needed. is it cable steering or rack and pinion? madbohunk safe boating

Re:1959 Dorsett catalina 10 years 4 months ago #94143

Thanks madbohunk, yes it did get a lot of looks on the way home and even a few thumbs up. I even had a guy stop and ask me about the boat in the store parking lot where I had to buy a new tire to replace the one that was half flat dry rotten and leaking air badly. It does have the cable steering system which I have no idea how it goes together because it is in pieces right now, but I probably won't have to worry about that for quit some time.

The one thing about the boat that I did not realize was how small it is at 16'-7". I kind of like that :laugh: The other thing I didn't realize until a couple of minutes ago is that it will need a short shaft motor which I do not have. I have plenty of long shaft options, but I guess I will have to start searching for shorty for it (that should make the wife happy) LOL

Re:1959 Dorsett catalina 10 years 4 months ago #94145

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Glad you got it ,jetflite. I was wanting one badly,but around here,you just as well be looking for a snow mobile LOL.

Re:1959 Dorsett catalina 10 years 4 months ago #94150

Excellent, can't wait to watch the restoration.

Bob

Re:1959 Dorsett catalina 10 years 4 months ago #94177

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats Jetflite, looks like you scored a nice one there! Since you're going to rebuild the transom anyway, maybe build it up to the 20" height you need? (I know some of the purists may think it a sin, but practicality comes into play sometimes right?) Either that or maybe a nice jack plate like John uses? Just a couple thoughts, looking forward to your project thread sir.

Mark

Re:1959 Dorsett catalina 10 years 4 months ago #94237

Nice boat - congratulations - keep us posted with pics.

I would be very tempted to move that Dorsett emblem up to the cabin where the later models have it. I think Dorsett has a great looking emblem and IMHO that location sets it off better.

Good luck,
Bill

Re:1959 Dorsett catalina 10 years 2 months ago #98125

Ever since I got the dorsett and realized I needed a short shaft motor for it, I have been patently searching high and low for one. Well this last week my patience paid off, I now have 2 mercury mark 55's and 1 merc mark 58, all short shafts, and a little 5 hp Sea King one seller practically made me take :) I will not say what I paid for all of this, but lets just say I have been told I paid below market value ;)
Attachments:

Re:1959 Dorsett catalina 10 years 2 months ago #98126

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
nice find Byron. I found a short shaft for the 65hp for the belmont for 600 bucks... right now with work everything is on hold for now, unfortunately...

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online