Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is this catalina too far gone?

Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93783

Found this catalina.1963 , I think? Need help deciding if its too far gone. The top cap deterioration worries me. Is it a matter of sanding and reglassing? Opinions?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93784

closer..
Attachments:

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93785

the back end looks pretty bad also. I can handle the rotten inside, but not sure about this exterior work..
crash
Attachments:

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93787

Nice looking cruiser. A big project for sure. What I've leaned is, if you want a boat to use on the water in the near future, go for a used one that's ready to go now and expect some little glitches. If you want a long term project that will be a head turner in a year (or 5) then dig in and start on the Dorsett, one small task at a time. :) Lots of good help and advice here on the forum.

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93791

Welcome aboard crash11, You say the top cap is deteriorated, what does that exactly mean? Is the gel coat crazed (cracking), chipped, or just ruff like sandpaper? I see a lot of lichens growing on the boat, those can be washed and sanded off, and you would be amazed at how you can bring gel coat back to a shin from a dull finish.

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93799

looks like she has a lot going for her....if that's what you want...do it....if you want something less labor intensive pass...looks like a good start to me...john

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93812

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
hmm, Looks better than mine did when I got it, and what is it with these catalina's sitting tilt on their trailers like this, this is the third cat I've seen like this, mine being one of them... I say go for it. Good luck

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93823

I'd say it up to how much you love the boat also. There is much work to bringing back a classic sometimes. I'd do it.

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93825

I love the lines of those boats,especially the curves of the sides. i get a thrill out of bringing something back to life that most people would think is junk.Wouldn't it be cool to know the history and see all the fun times that were once had on that, or any of these old boats when they were new? I say go for it....rescue!!!!!

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93826

No boat is ever too far gone if you REALLY want to put it back together. That said. If it is your first boat and you want it in the water next month then run away. Expect that every bit of wood is rotten. Someone who knows boats can tell you how bad it really is. Stringers and transom replacement are not overly complicated but cost time and money. I got my Catalina then found out it had a cored floor. That was a surprise that cost a lot more time and money than I had expected. Less than 1 square foot of the core was not mush. I don't regret it at all however. The journey has been fun. BUT. I have another boat to go out and play on. If you want to make money on fixing and selling it, run away. It is a labor of love.

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93863

Crash, good advice from all. IT's really up to you and how soon you want to be on the water. There's no better feeling than getting a project done and having everyone stare and comment on your pride and joy! Yes it will be a big project but how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. ;) You can do it and there's plenty of help here, if that is in fact what you want to do.

Bob

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93888

by the way, do you have some pictures of the interior? mine had an insert that made the floor seem like it was not rotten. it also added to the difficulty of getting at the transom and stingers. i can help with the pros and cons of the way I did mine.

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 5 months ago #93889

Where are you located? I have this nice Dorsett Monterey for sale in California.

sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4448982178.html

Norm

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 4 months ago #94093

Thanks for the encouragement. Not afraid of the work , was worried about having to reshape the exterior and my ability to do so. But seems like lots of folks to help me along. Think I will go for it. Thanks

Re:Is this catalina too far gone? 10 years 4 months ago #94118

• Onkyo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
NO Mater how bad it looks, it is still a cool looking boat. Nice find, if you have the time

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online