Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: fiber glass boat repair?

fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93716

hi guys iam a new member hear. been on the sidelines the last year. me and the wife have been looking for a span America black pirate for the last year or so.( no luck) we picked up a span America vip runabout and are now in the prosess of rebilding. were are going to replace the floor (bad wood) what do you guys recommend for wood and what fiber glass? I see lots of stuff out there and its confusing.thanks for the help. Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93735

Bob, Welcome Aboard, officially! ;) There are quite a few different ways to do this, some would say stick with Marine PLy but it isn't cheap. Other folks have used exterior ply with good results. The big thing to remember is to make sure both sides of the ply are coated in epoxy or CPES and then a good coat of paint once you glass the edges to the sides. there are plenty of folks who will jump in here with more experience than I since I didn't have to replace the floor during my restoration.

Bob

Re: fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93738

badger bob,

1st, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Most of the "old-timers" in FG know that I think MDO coated with epoxy & painted is equal in longevity to marine ply & quite a bit cheaper.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93743

there are differing opinions on this but i hope this helps,john
www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/fiberglassic-guide-to-transoms-floors-and-stringers
here is another,just look under research above in the header.
www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/fiberglassic-guide-to-boat-construction-and-repair

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93766

Thanks for the welcome and the help guys. iam shure ill have more questions as this project moves along. now iam going to start reading up on transom repair. thanks and ill keep you guts all posted on the progress. Bob

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93768

welcome on and you will quickly learn we like pictures.. something to stare at and maybe keep for another day when it is raining and we jump on here to remember back. i have found out that taking pictures as you remove a few pieces, that you may want to refer back to the picture to make sure it is back like it was. i have used my earlier pictures to see what was where and then rebuild it... once you figure out the uploading process get us a few to keep til the next time. i learned and now i cant stop.....

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93770

Hey guys,
New here also, so bear with me. I found this catalina. A 63 is my guess. The inside is rotten, which I can handle but I'm worried about the upper flaking and peeling on the top cap. I realize most anything can be rebuilt, but I'm trying to decide if this is too far gone. Opinions?

I'll try to post more pics if I can figure out how to do multiple pictures.
crash
Attachments:

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93771

here is closer.
Attachments:

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93772

And the back.
Attachments:

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93773

crash11,

1st, WELCOME ABOARD.

2nd: That boat LOOKS like "a real project". - Whether it's worth your time depends in the main on how "much in love" you are with that rig.

just my opinion, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93777

Crash welcome aboard, that is a REAL project. I'm not trying to offend anyone so please don't take this the wrong way but please try not to steal a thread. Im sure that was not your intention but it is good etiquette to start your own thread whenever possible. It's much easier to follow and answer your questions as well as the original poster of the thread.

Read this thread about posting pics and multiples.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/support/how-to-post-pictures

Bob

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93778

Oh yes, good thought. I will do that, thanks

Re:fiber glass boat repair? 10 years 5 months ago #93788

crash nice looking boat. it will take some time to rebild . keep us posted on how your doing with it. billy bob if I can figer out this computer ill git some pictuers posted.. thanks Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online