Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 57 herters flying fish

57 herters flying fish 10 years 5 months ago #93687

Hey all. I posted on here awhile back about restoring a 57 herters flying fish. The restore got put on hold a little and i've only been able to work here and there on it until recently. Now i'm to the point where i can use a little help. I am ready for paint at this point and was wondering if anyone knows the paint code to match up to the original pink that was used. The boat is going to be at least original colors of pink bottom and black top.

Thanks in advance for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 5 months ago #93754

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Al, Good luck on a paint code. If possible take a chip off some hidden place and bring it to a local auto store that does paint mixing. They can put an "eye" on it and match the color pretty close.

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 5 months ago #93761

I have had two Flamingo pink Herters. As far as I know Herters never posted there color for Flamingo pink.
So I went to one of our novelty stores and bought a plastic Flamingo. Took that to my paint supplier showed him which color on the bird I liked and he color matched it. He could not scan the bird to get a Color match as it was not big enough. May be if you got a bigger bird.
First pic is a 59
Second pic is Bryan Fenwicks Mindys Mingo

D

Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 5 months ago #93764

Here is the color chart printed in the 1959 Herters catalog.
Between the printing process for the catalog and the scanning process it probably isn't very accurate.
There is no official paint number or name other than Flamingo Pink available because this was gel-coat and it may even be that Herters were tinting it themselves. It's possible that boats from diffferent batches were not even the same.
So either suggestion works. Try to find some original paint on the boat, or pick a color you like and have a paint shop duplicate.
I bought herter59 pink and white boat from him many years ago and he always told me he used a live flamingo to scan the color. Maybe he was just pulling my leg a little. :lol:
We are doing a 57 pink and black Herters currently and we'll have to pick a pink also. Our boat was blue on blue originally so nothing to scan.

Don
Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 5 months ago #93801

Send Andgott (member here, hasn't been on in a while as far as I know) a message, he painted his Lake N Sea a similar color. It's the boat in the windshield write up:
http://www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/making-a-new-plexiglass-windshield

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 5 months ago #93818

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Try this website:

www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

Check out the following paint:

Classic 1950-1977:
Step 1: 1957
Step 2: Ford
Sunset Coral

And, if you don't like that color, ........ just explore.

Regards,
StevieB

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 5 months ago #93848

Thanks for the help. I was at the paint shop today trying to pick out a pink I like. With any luck i'll get paint on the bottom half with in the next week or so. I'll be sure to post some pictures once I do. Since this is my first restore i'll probably be asking some questions now that I'm getting down to painting and putting back together, so I appreciate and gladly take any advice out there.

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 4 months ago #94429

If weather holds up this weekend i'm planning on doing a little bit of painting(i'll post pictures if I do). I'm gonna start needing some advice and maybe some help finding things. My plan is to paint the bottom then set the top back on dry fit all the polished metal parts and run most of my wires so if I scratch something I only damage the primer on the top and not the finish job. That being said. I'm looking for the type of bolts, rivets and sealant to use to start piecing this thing back together. Any help would be great

Thanks

On a side note if anyone knows of a good place to pick up parts for cable and pulley steering that would be great(I do have steering wheel w no pulleys)

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 4 months ago #94472

As I promised some photos!!! I had a chance to do some painting yesterday. Didn't turn out to bad a few small dust spots in the clear to buff out. Here are some photos. Once I get it sanded and buffed I will pull it out and give some better pictures hopefully. Next step will be putting the runner on the bottom. what is everyones suggestions for sealant and bolts for that.

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 4 months ago #94473

Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 4 months ago #94475

Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 4 months ago #94477

Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 4 months ago #94478

Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 4 months ago #94488

alzamboti,

The original bolts holding the main and forward aluminum keel pieces to the hull were stainless steel 1/4-20 flathead, slot drive screws and were held by Nylock 1/4-20 nuts.
There should be 16 screws.
Seven are 1-1/4 in. Six in the main keel. and one in the forward keel.
Seven are 1-1/2 in. Six in the main keel and one in the forward keel.
2 are 2 in. used up through the transom knee brace.
If you have the original screws they are as good as anything you could replace them with if they are useable. You might want to use new Nylock nuts however.
Herters used the Nylock nuts on all these screws, but due to inconsistencies in the hull thickness some bolts stuck through the nuts quite a bit. They could really ruin your day if you were barefoot, so Herters cut each at the top of the nut so all the bolts ended up slightly different lengths.
You can get the slot drive screws from Fastenal or other suppliers such as MSC or McMaster Carr, but they sometimes requires box purchases only. Phillps drive would also work, as would oval head rather than flat head.
On my 59 Herters I cut each bolt to length before I installed the nut and then used a domed stainless nut. It was a lot of work that required two people, a lot of cutting and grinding, but it looked clean.
Normally stainless fasteners shouldn't be used against aluminum because of corrosion problems. Herters did use a lot of aluminum bolts to fasten their aluminum castings and extrusions, but I belive they may have had strength problems with keel and opted for stainless.
As for sealant, Herters used square pieces of black butyl rubber pierced with a 1/4 inch hole between the keel and the hull. I would stay away from that. It didn't work all that great.
I use 3M 4200 sealant. Put a small amount atound each hole before you place the keel in position. When you insert the screw, use a small amount on the bottom of the head and on the shaft. That will help seal the screw and prevent corrosion of the aluminum from the stainless.

Don

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 4 months ago #94507

Don,
Thanks for the information, it was very useful. Hopefully I will be able to buff out the clear on the bottom this week and start getting the pieces together to start putting some things back together. I will try to keep posting pictures as I go and probably have a few more questions along the way.

Thanks,
Anthony

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 1 week ago #100949

I've been slacking on posting any photos but I'm coming down the home stretch. Waiting on motor and making a windshield. May also need some help with tiller cable and pulley steering system but here is some photos.

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 1 week ago #100950

Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 1 week ago #100951

Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 1 week ago #100952

Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 1 week ago #100953

Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 1 week ago #100954

Attachments:

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 6 days ago #100979

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That is one shiny fish! Lookin' great Al.

Mark

Re:57 herters flying fish 10 years 6 days ago #100993

Outstanding Anthony!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:57 herters flying fish 9 years 2 months ago #112670

Hi how much would this Herters be worth around its a Beauty something llike mine

Re:57 herters flying fish 9 years 2 months ago #112671

fingirl,

WELCOME ABOARD.

In my experience, a restored antique glassic is worth precisely what a willing buyer is willing to pay. = There seems to be NO set values for 90+% of such boats.
(Even insurance appraisers seldom agree on values.)

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:57 herters flying fish 9 years 2 months ago #112676

Thank You. There was one sold on Glassifies last year one of Del Van Emmericks Creations wondering what it was sold for ? a pink and black one.

Re:57 herters flying fish 9 years 2 months ago #113543

• Nadeem
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
looks great

Re:57 herters flying fish 9 years 2 months ago #113546

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
This is one I rebuilt a four years ago. Listed and sold locally for $3800. The girl fell in love with it. Had a Mark 55.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online