Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1965 Evinrude Sport

1965 Evinrude Sport 10 years 5 months ago #93540

I recently bought a 1965 Evinrude Sport.

I was told the boat was garage kept much of its life, but spent the last two years outside. There seems to be a good amount of water in the hull. Is there foam in this hull? Can it be soaked with water? If so, can this cause rot (boat seems very solid)? Will it dry out if I garage it? I've run the pump a number of times several hours apart; each time there seems to be a good bit more water to be pumped.

If I leave it parked nose down water accumulates in the nose. There is an access hole there where I can see wires on the floor. Wonder what they are for and if they are in the wrong place since they end up in water when the boat is parked nose down.

Attached is a massive (so it seems for this boat) Johnson 150HP V-6 outboard. Is this too big for the boat? How do I identify if it is 2 or 4 stroke? I'm guessing I need to at 50/1 oil mix to the tank (?)

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965 Evinrude Sport 10 years 5 months ago #93599

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard KE, glad to have you join us. Have you checked out the FG Library yet, there is some great info there on your boat;
www.fiberglassics.com/library/OMC_Boats

We also have a couple members in the rebuild process, check out the Member's Project section when you get a chance. Generally speaking, you'll want to park the boat with the bow high to drain toward the bilge. Most do have foam under the floor, although I'm not familiar with your particular model. The (old style) foam usually WILL absorb water like a sponge, and no in most cases you'll never get it dried out without removing it entirely! It also leads to the rot you mentioned, requiring wood replacement in most cases.

I'm sure some of the gang with more experience in your model will chip in and lend some guidance, good luck and share some pics when you get a chance. ;)

Mark

Re:1965 Evinrude Sport 10 years 5 months ago #93607

Thanks for your helpful information. I was told significant work was done on it several years ago including a new floor. All seems very solid, so I hope it is some time before I see any type of water dameage! Thanks again.

Re:1965 Evinrude Sport 10 years 5 months ago #93614

KEStout,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1965 Evinrude Sport 10 years 5 months ago #93686

Thanks

Re:1965 Evinrude Sport 10 years 5 months ago #93688

Welcome aboard KE. Mark is right, park it nose up and let it drain. That's good if it has a new floor but if they put foam back under it, depending on what they used it could be soaked again not good. The only way to dry it out, as Mark said, it will have to be removed, which means cutting the floor out again to remove it, unless you know the layout under there. If so you could cut out access holes to remove it then plug the holes back up. Don't know these boats real well but as Mark said there are others who do and they can jump in and give you better advice and insight to the layout underneath your floor.

Bob

Re:1965 Evinrude Sport 10 years 5 months ago #93693

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Andrew hasn't posted in a while, but here's a rebuild thread from the members project forum I was thinking about;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/member-projects/1964-johnson-deluxe-resto-mod
May be some useful info there, even though it's a different model? Hoping you do find that she doesn't need much, any pics yet!??!? :laugh:

Mark

Re:1965 Evinrude Sport 10 years 4 months ago #94528

Thanks for the helpful info. I tried to post a pic but haven't managed to get it to download yet.

Re:1965 Evinrude Sport 10 years 4 months ago #94530

Tried to adjust file size...hope this works :)

Re:1965 Evinrude Sport 10 years 4 months ago #94531

...still says too large. Try one last time... :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online