Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any Chrysler People Out There?

Any Chrysler People Out There? 10 years 5 months ago #93398

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
A friend of mine bought a 105 Chrysler and asked me what the gas/oil ratio was and I was stumped. I should know that but I've never owned a Chrysler. Anybody know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Any Chrysler People Out There? 10 years 5 months ago #93402

I would assume it would be 50 to 1 like other outboards of that age. Most of the older ones (mid 60's or older) had a heavier mixture listed but that changed as better oils were available. I have a '63 Merc 85 h.p.and the owners manual says 24 to 1 ( a quart to 6). I have talked to several mechanics, and other knowledgeable people on sites like this, and they are all in agreement that it is fine to run it at 50 to 1.
Bill

Re:Any Chrysler People Out There? 10 years 5 months ago #93471

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Bill, I ran the living tar out of my old 850-6 (with 100hp carbs) on 50:1 and it never had any fuel-related problems.

Paul's Chrysler 105 will be quite happy on 50:1 as well.

Here's what Mercury had to say about use of "modern" oils in an older TSB:

Mercury Bulletin Number 80-6:

"A. USE OF FORMULA 50-D OIL IN OLDER MERCURY OUTBOARDS

Formula 50-D oil can be recommended (at a 50:1 mixture) for use in earlier Mercury outboards regardless of year of manufacture.

Formula 50-D also can be used in other brand outboards (at a 50:1 mixture), provided that the manufacturer recommends use of a 50:1 oil mixture."

The above was copied verbatim from a Merc Service Bulletins Microfiche.

Since this bulletin was issued many years ago, I'd expect that Mercury's latest oil formulations (and any good TCW3 oil for that matter) would be far superior to the Formula 50-D oil.

That being said, many older (read=50's) motors aren't "fully-jeweled" and run babbit bearing material, and you have to follow the old recommendations for mix. JohnRude 5.5's & 7.5's come to mind. So there are always exceptions. Any motor that doesn't have needle/roller/ball bearings on crankpin/wristpin/main bearing surfaces shouldn't be run 50:1 unless you've seen a specific recommendation from the mfr to that effect.

Anyway, that's probably more info than you really needed, but I couldn't resist!!!! ;)

Cheers..................ed

Re:Any Chrysler People Out There? 10 years 5 months ago #93517

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Thanks to both of you for your help.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online