Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14

Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93249

I finally got the Tomahawk home. I stripped most everything off. I have been researching how to repair the fiberglass imperfections. Has anybody used the product Ad Tech P-14? Here are a couple of pictures of future "fun" I will be enjoying.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93271

Hello Bruce,

I used that product as a filler after sanding and before gelcoating my Glasspar. Got good results and be careful to not put on any more than you need. It dries hard and take a while to sand smooth. Was a good tip I got from our friend Jerry over at Haynes Fiberglass Repair.

Terry

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93291

Thanks Terry. If I got it right, I first sand/ Grind out the cracks, then fill the cracks with a fiberglass repair. Using the Ad Tech P-14 is too get the final shape, before Gel coating? It would be nice to have someone in the area to bounce these things off of. I appreciate your response.

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93310

Bruce: Nice looking 1960, 61 or 62 Tomahawk, SkiMate. For awhile I couldn't get enough of them.

If I can be of any help in sourcing parts feel free to contact me.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93314

Hello Bruce,

This was the first time I have applied gelcoat and got good results. I talked to people that had experience in it and learned what I could before going in.

After sanding down the gelcoat I found lots of pinholes and used the ADTECH P-14 ultra white as filler.

Terry
Attachments:

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93352

Greg
Your boats are beautiful!!! Where in WI are you located? Do you have any pictures of the insides? Thanks for responding. This is my first Fiberglass restore.

Bruce

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93353

Terry
Thanks for your response. Beautiful Seafair. I can't find the Ad Tech P-14 around here, I will have to go on line and look.

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93378

Yes Bruce I have between 100 to 250 photos of each boat taken during restoration. I live in Monona, WI near Madison (South Central WI)

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

Photos of this boat (1961 Tomahawk SkiMate should be identical to yours.
Attachments:

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93384

Here is my understanding of the difference in skimate years.
58 had a flat bow - no raised floor - molded rear bench - molded plastic screw on badge.
59 had a flat bow - no raised floor - molded rear bench - adhesive decal.
60 & 61 had raised bow - wood floor - optional nonstructural rear bench - adhesive decal.

somewhere in there the adhesive decal changed from round logo to attached version. or maybe the other way around.
Attachments:

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93393

Thanks Bruce,

Give these guys a call and they will take care of you. And its in the hood if you know what I mean.

expresscomposites.com/index.html

Terry

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93417

Greg
Thanks so much for the photos. I was told by the previous owner that it was a 1959. I believe you know better. My transom seems pretty good. Did you have to beef yours up?
I live in Northern IL.

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93420

Terry
Thank you for the web site.

Bruce

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93437

Of the five Tomahawks I have reconstructed I have never had to "get into" the transom. Each have what I call a 1/2 transom. That is to say the wood portion of the transom is in the top 1/2. Some models have a small portion of the transom that extends to the floor. Because of the 1/2 transom water was not able to "suck-up" into the transom wood, saving them from rot. Of the five tomahawks three had the original transom tags showing maxim motor ratings of 65 HP. With that said I would not think there would be a need to beef up your transom. The most horse power I have hung on a Tomahawk is 55 HP.

I have never split a Tomahawk. The two half's are, for a lack of a better term "glued together". Making them very difficult to get apart. With the two half's together it makes it much more difficult to work on. So, the boats with a floor had to go back in with two pieces rather than on piece. Of course yours doesn't have a floor saving you countless hours and money.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attachments:

Re:Tomahawk Boat Restore- AD Tech P-14 10 years 5 months ago #93492

Greg
Thanks so much for the pics and the tips ( I would have split the boat) Mine has the same yellow ring around the edge. Did you make your own upholstery? What paint did you use? Sorry for all the questions, I am new at this and I like the way your Tomahawks turned out.
Bruce

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online