Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse

LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93137

Ok So I just bought a 1962 Dorsett Belmont and it has a 35HP 1958 Evinrude Lark 35(Model #35514) and a 1954 Johnson QD-15 10HP Seahorse. Both run but need a little work. I am looking for any information on them that I can find. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93146

CoolClownFish,

IF it was me, I would IMMEDIATELY buy a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER by Max E. Wawrzyniak.

Unless your OMC outboard has been ABUSED (I've never seen, in over a half-century of boating/fishing, an OMC Twin or BigTwin that was "worn out in service".), that book, a handful of wrenches, a hammer, a few relatively cheap SIERRA parts, from the local NAPA Auto Parts store AND normal IQ/manual dexterity will fix your engine right up.

NOTE: I do NOT own stock in NAPA nor do I get anything from the sale of books. - Instead, I'm a "tinkerer" with OMC OB motors.
(You do NOT need to be a mechanic to work on a 1955-70 BigTwin.)

just my opinion, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93159

satx, Thank you. I do know a little about 2 stroke but not a whole lot. I will get that book and start digging. Thank you for the pointers. I rebuilt the carb on the 35HP Evinrude and I am looking for a fuel pump for it right now. the one that's on it I was told was for a snowmobile. I replaced the impellers and will be starting them up tomorrow (if weather permits) to check them out. I know they run so I guess I'm lucky in that aspect.

Re:LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93161

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Satx is right. I cut my outboard teeth on those 35's. Parts are still available at local OMC dealers also. They are bullet proof workhorses but the carbs can be finicky with the rich/lean adjustment. They snort at idle sometimes if not set right.
Cal

Re:LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93210

I'm working on getting one ready now. I ran out of money too soon fixing the boat itself up. Hopefully real soon though. Parts are easy to get.
Attachments:

Re:LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93223

robert-lorigan wrote:

I'm working on getting one ready now. I ran out of money too soon fixing the boat itself up. Hopefully real soon though. Parts are easy to get.

robert-lorigan What year is that one? Looks a little different than mine? Basically the cover is different the lower half looks the same.

Re:LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93232

59 Golden Jubilee. :kiss:

Re:LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93247

CoolClownFish,

IF I could offer another piece of "unasked for advice", I would replace the water pump impeller, spark plugs, sparkplug wires, coils, condensors & points before I did anything else.
(I've NEVER seen an "as found" OMC that didn't need that stuff changed out.)
MOST BigTwins will also need the carbs rebuilt BUT once that's done the VAST majority will start/run.
(Absent the 1960-61 BigTwins, which sometimes have "crankshaft busting problems", my first cousin calls them, "the forever outboard". = The pair of 1965 Fortys, which he bought new, are still pushing his commercial trotlining boats just fine.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93295

UPDATE: I replaced the impeller and plugs in the Evinrude and it runs like a dream. Spits water great and purrs like a kitten. Next is the Johnson when it warms up out there some more lol. Our weather is Bi-polar here in Utah right now.

Re:LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93315

CoolClownFish,

CONGRADS on the Evinrude. - With a teaspoon of luck the Johnson should be running soon.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:LF info: 58 Evinrude 35 Lark / 54 10 HP Seahorse 10 years 5 months ago #93504

Thanks satx, Johnson is now running great. New Impeller and new plugs purrs like a kitten :) . I think I will run some Sea Foam through them when I take them out this weekend (Hopefully).

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online