• Page:

TOPIC: Glaston CV vs. CVX

Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92621

• Seymour
  • Seymour's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Do anyone know the difference between a Glastron CV and a CVX? It's seems there is a platform on each side on the outboard on a CVX but that seems to be the only difference that jumps out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92629

• Seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More specifically the 16CV and CVX

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92637

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I believe the biggest structural difference is the CV has no pad molded into the hull, just a shallow "V". The CVX does, albeit a small one. Gregg (Hyperacme) posted some comparison pics on CGOAMN not long ago, I'll see if I can find them if you'd like?

Here's a link to the Carlson "Factory Images" (sales brochures) section of their website;
cgoamn.com/40.html

Mark

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92663

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Great find on the Factory stuff info! Friend had a 1976 CV23!

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92666

• MarkS
Several of the gang in MN have one (different years) Robby, I think they're a very classy cruiser! Also great for families, that's a lot of boat.

(Not that I'm partial to Glastron/Carlsons or anything....LOL)

Mark

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92684

• Seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
There is no mention of hull design other then "performance" no specifics. I'm wondering if it has a pad on the back sorta like a Hydrostream. I love the design of the Glastron but am diei g for the performance of a Hydrostream. I looked at all those brochures on the sight and am still hoping for more hull information.

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92692

• MarkS
There are a couple guys on the Glastron forums (both MN and the national forum, www.classicglastron.com ) who also run Hydrostreams, I believe they advise the Hydro's are definitely a "faster" hull for top speed consideration.

There are some "back in the day" test results posted on the MN site as well, here's a link to them;
forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=2924.0

If I'm not mistaken (and that is entirely possible!), the Hydro has a "flattened keel" pad that tapers as it goes forward, where the CVX is more of a rectangle basically back at the transom?

Mark

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92715

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
MarkS wrote:

Several of the gang in MN have one (different years) Robby, I think they're a very classy cruiser! Also great for families, that's a lot of boat.

(Not that I'm partial to Glastron/Carlsons or anything....LOL)

Yep! We would pack 6 people in for the day, cruising the Illinois Fox Chain! Lotta beer, lotta fun and sun!

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92717

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
"S" I own a 78 CVX , 16 ft OUtboard.. I would say they are more desirable than the 72- 73 Era CV-16. .My son had a purple Cv-16.
They were the start of faster , James Bond sport boats.
The CVX or front scoop ( Nostril Nose) as called have a much smaller tinted windscreen, tad lower profile & tad more center bottom pad to get better speeds closer to 60 mph.
CVX should have better collection $$ going forward.. Maybe nicer dash, wood grain steering wheel etc. IMO
Part II if the hull you are looking at has the TWO rear indent swim seats, like my pic below , with the small wood trim steps, it is a 77 & Later CVX. Bucket seats, (Maybe swivel) & rear curved Booth seat ,Maybe hold 3, ? But rather take mine out VERY HEAVY frame.. Again the CV -16 hull sort of 72 design era..... The sales brochures for 77 & 78 have differnt TRIM package, like the rear sloping Grab Bars were sort of a OPtion. To me the CV tansom is more straight up & down.? . .

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92734

• Seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Ok I'm getting a warm fuzzy thanks for your help! The cvx23 is a beautiful thing I saw one online locally that I drooled over. I have always been a function over form guy but these Glastrons might take the lead from a Hydrostream. Although I will have to sell the wife on it too which may be the hardest part!

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92749

• MarkS
Seymour wrote:

....... I have always been a function over form guy but these Glastrons might take the lead from a Hydrostream. Although I will have to sell the wife on it too which may be the hardest part!

If it helps at all Seymore, the Hydrostream guys advise the water has to be perfectly flat to take advantage of the increased top end. Most agree the Carlson hull better "all around" or "every day" experience? (Judge Judy would call it hearsay, I have no first-hand comparison experience! :laugh: )

I hear you about convincing the wife, mine likes to remind me of our 1 Boat Rule !

Mark

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92778

• Seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
There's no written rule yet on one boat here but she was pretty upset when I bought a second and told her after I got it. I never had intentions of keeping it. Just a flip. We will be goin to a no boat household pretty soon temporarily while we do our adjustment for the new baby and momma not working. But it won be for more then a year!!

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92805

• randyr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I have been led to believe that a CV is an inboard-outboard boat and a CVX is an outboard boat.

Randy

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92815

Please allow me to retort. With the Carlson, it's not just the CV,CVX thing, it is which power plant and drive are the badest on the lake!! Both came with IOs,Jets,and OBs. I myself, after having three 77 CV23s (one with 525hp) am just partially bias. I don't think there is anything sexier on the water(that's not wearing a bikini) than a CV23 with a 120foot wail tail from its bullit proof Berkeley J-Jet drive doing a mere 87mph ripping accros Lake Butte de Morte (Wis). In 10-12inches of (carbonated) water!!!!! Yes I guess 'young and dumb' would apply but I'm still here to say I would take a CV23 over a cvx(smaller) or a Scimitar (slower). So there you have it, my non bias opinion on this matter!! :P Mark I hope you r well and to everyone....I SMELL SPRING!

Luv and Beer. Kurt

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92816

• MarkS
Getting better every day Kurt, thanks! Can't argue about the screamin' V8 shooting a 100' rooster tail across the lake either. :P

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter!

Mark

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92823

These are the best looking Glastron /Carlsons's . The CV21....

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92878

I know everyone is most definitely entitled to their own opinion, and any of the Carlson's are stunning, But!..the video speaks a thousand words!!! Awesome boat ..the 21, but even Stevie Wonder would notice the porpusing going on. which happens alot on 'glass' with all due respect..the 23 does not porpus, has a great(better) :laugh: angle from hatch to wind shield, and has a 'stab in cabin'....I Her to Rest My case!!! :P

Luv and Beer Kurt

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92881

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well I need to relate a story ..CV23.Read on, and enjoy!

Gotta tell ya a story the CV23 my bud had. Did a "last blast" down the Fox river (Ill Chain)..before winter. Glenn driving, me left seat, Gary in the back just relaxing. and ya can't beat the "Fall Autumn run".. Dead calm, all cribs the shore line burning leaves..(Indian Summer). But coming back, Glenn sees a bunch of ducks water. Being a 460 Jet, no worry as can hug the shoreline. So the ducks were faster than us. But now the fun begins!

So we go back middle the river, WOT now, and the damn motor just up and went silent? I see Glenn sawing the wheel, trying anything, and zip. Well, the thing is a Jet only has a small rudder bottom the nozzle. On plane, dont do crap to steer..thats thrust. Funny though on a Jet, hit reverse you DO HAVES BRAKES..but without thrust? NOPE!

So here comes the fun part. Theres one lonely houseboat about 25 feet, chugging along a 3mph coming at us. Well, the CV boat was leaning the the left coming now dead on the HB. Just about the time I was gonna bail out the right side as a crash sure coming. Good thing I didn't, as would not be here to tell story.
But the boat came off plane, rudder working now, and we only did a glancing blow out right side, HB left front bow. Well, nobody hurt, and the shoreline was a bar and launch. They and Glenn simple exchanged info, we called back to the crib to drag a trailer for the CV....(pretty good hole in the side)

BUT heres the REAL funny part! It was a guy and his wife and he was going to the fridge another beer..BUT. she was on the "CAN", and had just grabbed the TP roll!. Well when we hit, she was tossed out the head..and us (she said ya gotta see this) later went and looked at about 50 yards TP all over! Funny too, as we made friends, and ended up riding motorcycles together.

Just glad know one was injured. But you "Squirt Boats?"... LISTEN to what I just said.."steering a Jet ..no thrust..try it. Go WOT and shut the motor off. Try it open water.

Heres a pic the boat after a long time sitting..(thats my old HD
Bagger, left). It never was moved that spot, and never wet again.
Simple boat was "bent", and the motor mounts were tore lose also. OK, nuff that...the post a CV running big power, and a "Jetovater?

Thing is on the new to me, us..then Jets? I would damn near be on the rear swim deck watching the Jet at WOT! AND, one day a friend mine had a 460 Jet in a GC 16. We raced..(me my old SS17 Switzer..built XS1500). Blew his ass away. Laid off the hotfoot, and the SOB kept going and cuts in front me! Raises the "Vator". "Like a firehose at ya!"

What can I say next? "the power of water, the love of water, and if it still floats? Ya be good!Pic...
Attachments:

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92888

Awesome story and a clone of two of my 77's..except for one small detail..."Drag'n Fly". Had 525hp 513stroker. My bet is you would have been wet the entire time..but we would have had a great time!!! ;)

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92897

The first video boat had a Banks twin turbo BBC puttin out 795 HP and it topped out at 87 MPH , not sure 525hp in a CVX23 would get near 87 maybe the high 60's low 70's with a tail wind and a following current .

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92898

The thing is it takes a whole lot more power with a jet drive to push a boat the same speed as a prop driven boat of the same size and weight . While jets are cool huge engines loud noise monster rooster tail the fact is prop boats will eat jets for lunch all day long . Coming from a guy who has both .

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92900

Here is a SBC 525hp prop driven CVX23 doing 83 .

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92902

Yep jet boats like jet skis/PWC, no thrust no turn, period! Your directional nozzle is your power and won't act like a rudder unless it has water jetting out of it. Sorry for the obvious to those who know but you'd be surprised at how many people have no idea and that's how terrible accidents happen, mostly with PWC's from people who rent and have no idea.

Bob

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #92911

You r absolutely correct about the HP to mph ratio on jet vs prop.
Where I gained a lot of ground as you probably now, is when I rebuilt my pump(Berkeley) after exploring many impeller options I went with Tenseloid with A perfect pitch match for Hp. No matter how much HP you have that pump will only turn so fast(6-6.5k) range even after a good rebuild before catastrophic failure is imminent. Where the props boats got me was 'out of the hole'. The power trim when used correctly makes a huge difference with this and top end but props are more efficient. My speedo may have been off a bit (no GPS then) but she still ran 80's. No reason to BS.
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!
Spread some Luv and...HAVE A BEER FOR ME, Kurt

Re:Glaston CV vs. CVX 10 years 5 months ago #93063

If you're interested come on over and say hi at Vintage Jet Boats , they are a great bunch of knowledgeable people from all over the world as far as Asia , South Africa , every where who love old jet boats and keeping them alive . Gil
www.vintagejetboats.com/content.php

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online