• Page:

TOPIC: Value of my 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber

Value of my 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber 10 years 5 months ago #92500

• EChris
  • EChris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I purchased a 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber from my aunt when my favorite uncle passed away unexpectedly. It is in great condition and I have several pictures of it posted in my gallery. It is in great condition and the mechanicals are amazing for the age. It has a 300 c.i. Buick V-8 and OMC Stringer outdrive. It also has a never used prop and the electrical is great. A Sony Cassette/radio deck is the only alteration to the original wiring. It also has the sliding hardtop that works perfectly. It is just not fitting in to my collection of old American automobiles and other such items and I am contemplating selling and am having some large internal debates. One of the things that might make a difference in this troubling decision is having a good idea of the exact value of this classic. I would appreciate any and all inputs on this question.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Value of my 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber 10 years 5 months ago #92509

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sweet looking cruiser Echris, and welcome. Can you post some pics of the interior, engine, etc.? Any idea what kind of shape the mechanicals are in?

Mark

Re: Value of my 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber 10 years 5 months ago #92532

EChris,

WELCOME ABOARD.

As to value: These older boats are worth precisely what someone is willing to pay cash for on any given day.
(None of my rigs would bring today what they cost to remodel/restyle/restore.)

Once your rig is restored, look into a "Stated Value" policy (like that that protects an antique car) to PROTECT your investment, in the event that you have an "unfortunate situation".

Restoration has to be done "for love" imVho, as all these rigs are "money pits" & in my experience cost about 3x what you expect restoration to cost. - Otoh, once redone a 1950-197? boat/motor/trailer will be a classic when a new (or recent rig) is just "an old used boat".

Owning a restored rig is NOT for "the shy & retiring", as a nice restoration will draw admirers/"old boat fans" like honey attracts bees.

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Value of my 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber 10 years 5 months ago #93946

• EChris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you, it seems to be very sweet. Just an easy going machine. The motor is fantastic, its a Buick 300 and has an OMC Stringer outdrive and in great working condition. The interior isn't necessarily the coolist colors in 2014 but the brown and yellow interior is in fantastic shape as well. No tears, holes, etc. Even the built in ice box and counter top is in great condition, not a crack in the ice box or scratch on the counter top. The pics show the glass a little dusty but it cleaned up to crystal clear.
Attachments:

Re:Value of my 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber 10 years 5 months ago #93947

• EChris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
And a motor pic
Attachments:

Re:Value of my 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber 10 years 5 months ago #93949

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
hmmmmmm would that be the aluminum 300 block?

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Value of my 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber 10 years 5 months ago #93958

Keep it for the summer, enjoy it and then evaluate If you want it. I bet you'll keep it.
;)

Re:Value of my 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber 10 years 4 months ago #94083

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Assuming you have an interest in vintage boats, I think you have a "keeper" and with that V8, she should go like hell!

As to value, it's a "nice little vintage boat in good condition." It's neither a piece of junk or a collector's dream. Your market would be to someone who wants a good, solid boat in great shape for a reasonable price that is turn-key, ready to launch. As to value, If it were mine, I would ask somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,500 but realistically expect to be able to sell it for closer to $3,500. Your location, time of year and the economy in general all effect what a buyer would be willing to offer. The condition, engine, hardtop and dual axle trailer are the important selling points, assuming the engine and outdrive are in good operable condition.

I'd insure it for at least $5,000 stated value...a reasonable estimate of the replacement cost, assuming you could find a similar boat in similar original condition.

If your boat were in "typical beat up" condition for it's age, putting it in the shape it's in now could cost in the neighborhood of $15-25,000, depending upon the condition of the floor, transom, engine, outdrive, paint, interior, gauges, etc., etc. Bottom line? You're WAY ahead of the game. I'd keep it, use it and laugh all the way to the bank!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Value of my 1966 Bellboy Beachcomber 10 years 4 months ago #95049

• EChris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Would like to say thank you for the information and advice, especially to Nautilus. Specifics and numbers are always good. I still have not made up my mind on this beauty yet, but it is indoors and enjoying being out of the elements. I have managed to acquire the OMC manual for the outdrive, and knowledge is power. I will post more when the action picks up. And hopefully this first-timer does not end up in a youtube fail compilation. Thanks again for the info, and warm welcome to this online club.
EChris

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online